Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What's Happening Now?

[eluser]coolfactor[/eluser]
Looking through the latest at the BitBucket repository and I notice some things. It seems that some classes (at least) are still using the PHP 4 convention of naming the constructor after the class...
Code:
class CI_Router {
     function CI_Router() {

}
}

Since CodeIgniter 2 will be PHP 5-only (right?), wouldn't that be better as __construct()?

--

To go along with this change, the CI_Router::fetch_method() method doesn't allow the method to be named the same as the controller; it rewrites to the index() method. But under PHP 5, it's technically possible to have a function named the same as the class (I believe), so this behavior should be changed. I just spent a few hours trying to track down this "bug". Correct me if I'm wrong about this belief.
Code:
function fetch_method()
    {
        if ($this->method == $this->fetch_class())
        {
            return 'index';
        }

return $this->method;
    }

EDIT - My belief is correct, at least as of PHP 5.3.3. Methods with the same name as a class (at least in namespaced classes) won't be treated as the constructor if __construct() is not defined. Looks like they are phasing out the PHP 4 compatibility slowly.

[eluser]Dennis Rasmussen[/eluser]
The keyword here Coolfactor is "slowly".

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
[quote author="Dennis Rasmussen" date="1288883508"]The keyword here Coolfactor is "slowly".[/quote]

Considering the last commit was 22 days ago and a rather small commit at that, I'm guessing "slowly" probably means 3 or 4 years into the future when PHP 6 will probably be the new standard and PHP 5 is being phased out.

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
[quote author="coolfactor" date="1288878888"]Since CodeIgniter 2 will be PHP 5-only (right?), wouldn't that be better as __construct()?[/quote]

No, deprecated in 2.0, removed in 2.1

[eluser]ntheorist[/eluser]
[quote author="coolfactor" date="1288878888"]CodeIgniter 2 will be PHP 5-only (right?)[/quote]

doesn't look like it, hence http://bitbucket.org/ellislab/codeignite.../Base4.php

CI has always supported php4 systems, which is a source of much debate within the community, and looks like its no different with CI2

[eluser]tschunde[/eluser]
26 days since last commit and the commits in the past 3 months were only super-minor... ellislab give it up lol you guys should stop your effort and give the community the control over that framework

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="tschunde" date="1289183631"]give the community the control over that framework[/quote]

They have! :lol:

[eluser]Maglok[/eluser]
This sounds like a great development!

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
More news to come soon. People need to be really excited about the progress that is being made by EllisLab in listening to the community. I sure am!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB