Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
If you could change two things about the CodeIgniter forums, they would be...

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
Allow the originator of a thread to move the thread (all of it) to a more appropriate sub-forum.
This could be the job of a moderator, but...

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
@petroz,

Look up in the right top of the forum post. See the Report, report the things and the mod's will do what they have to!

@borisglazov,
Quote:1. On-line support as a chat (agree with coldfire82)
2. Help section for beginner. That is information about CI adapted for non-experienced ones. Now it is difficult for beginner to sort it out himself.

1) This is Open Source not 24/7 Tech Support!
2) Read the CodeIgniter User Guide!

InsiteFX

[eluser]Davcon[/eluser]
1. I'd like to suggest a commercial section where people can freely ask technical questions and, for a reasonable fee, enjoy considered, expert responses- and not insulting "read the f***** manual" put downs.

2. I wish some of the people in here were a bit more friendly.

[eluser]Crag[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1303260779"]
Quote:2. Help section for beginner. That is information about CI adapted for non-experienced ones. Now it is difficult for beginner to sort it out himself.

InsiteFX[/quote]

A newbe needs more help them explanations of the classes and helpers. He needs examples and guidance. A section devoted to newbes helping each other, with the support of experienced coders, is a great idea.

As a sort-of newbe I would've been all in that forum. Not to mention, experienced geeks get a bit testy seeing newb questions scrolling by. Put them all in one place. That way, if one of you demi-gods wishes to come in [to the newbie forum] and drop pearls of wisdom we'd [us 'beginners'] would worsh- ehhh - bless you. Smile

But my biggest gripe is the wiki: 70% of the code in there is like from 2007/2008. I thought this framework was dying looking at that wiki. I soon learned otherwise.. but still. I'm not saying old code isn't useful. It sure is. Helped me a lot. But it's only useful after you are familiar with the current version of CodeIgniter. Things have changed over the years, after all.

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
@crag

I think this is already happened, without existed 'Newbie' section. I see there are hundreds newbie's question here, which get good answer from experienced user (ussually, including clear explanation and even high quality code).

As InsiteFX said, i prefer this forums become as is should be : An Active Open Source Community (not like 24/7 Tech Support, which divided its user into two groups : lazzy customer,with their needs, and expert programmer as online support or paid contributtor!)

[eluser]osci[/eluser]
Quote:@borisglazov,

1. On-line support as a chat (agree with coldfire82)
2. Help section for beginner. That is information about CI adapted for non-experienced ones. Now it is difficult for beginner to sort it out himself.

1) This is Open Source not 24/7 Tech Support!

InsiteFX
+1

btw off-discussion but in topic:
Does the icon for sticky notes changes when it has a reply as common topics do? I was looking all over trying to see which topic I hadn't checked at no core forum and I think it doesn't. And it took me a long time to find this new post. If it doesn't change (could be my eyes blinking at this time because of time and a lot of wine - happy easter day) please add this too in whishlist Smile

@oci

No it the icon for sticky notes does not change. But it will show you in the forum topics that there are new posts.

Only forum topics will change when there is a new topic or someone answers a topic.

If you check the little checkbox at the bottom of the fast reply it will email you when some posts to that topic.

InsiteFX

Besides I can tell you right now that I spend maybe 4 hours or more a day on these forums trying to help new users! Also I know that toopay spends a lot of time on here also so!

If you try to get help on the weekend there are only a few of us that spend are time on here I am one of them, as you can see right now.

Most of the new users want help and then they post their code with out using code tags, now go through that code! Then if we have to copy it to show the correct way of coding it, we have to change every single qoute mark to the correct one because codeiginter escapes them `

If you do not know how to use code tags then click on the POST REPLY button, it's a full editor!

We help on our own time.

InsiteFX

[eluser]atno[/eluser]
There are many interesting posts in this forum, what I would like to see is a favourite button per thread and a favourite list on Profile to keep track of those interesting threads instead of having a freaking ton of bookmarks Smile

[eluser]4ever[/eluser]
One thing - to mark if the thread was solved...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB