Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Need suggestions for making my application modular

[eluser]Timothy_[/eluser]
Hello Everyone,

I am at a cross roads in my web application development and I need some good advice. I have just completed the 'base application' for my web app, which does all the 'nuts and bolts' things but have realised that I need to change my coding style for the next phase of development.

Basically I want everything else I develop for this particular application from now on to be an 'addon' or an 'optional module' to the existing application that can be quickly deployed. It needs to be able to add tables to the database and the main base application needs to be able to `talk back to it` and compile views using the existing base controllers/views and the new module controllers/views.

I have been looking around and found the HMVC by wiredesignz http://bitbucket.org/wiredesignz/codeign.../wiki/Home
This looks like it could be what I am after, but I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know what kind of overhead adding this extension to CI will introduce? My application is huge and I am extremely cautious of slowing it down.
2. Does anyone have any code examples of this extension in action. I am a bit confused about how I am going to be able to integrate my modules with my application.

Thanks,

Tim

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
HMVC works like a charm!

As far as overhead, not really noticiable!

I am using it with CI 2.0

Copy the files were it says to place them.

application
-- modules
-- modulename
-- controllers
-- config
-- etc

InsiteFX

[eluser]Timothy_[/eluser]
Thanks for your reply InsiteFX.

Does anyone else have any comments on whether using HMVC is the right path to take for what I want to do?

Thanks,

Tim

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB