Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New to CI: Should I wait for 2.0?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi all,

After much debate, I've decided that CI's community and documentation is more important to me than some of the features that other frameworks offer. After perusing some of the pages here, I noticed that CI seems to be close to releasing version 2.0, which presumably is more PHP5 centric and may use different code structure than 1.x

My question is, before diving in and using the existing documentation to learn 1.x, should I be waiting for the 2.0 release and learn the newest features? I'd really like to begin my project, but want to make sure it is proofed for the future development of CI.

Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks!

[eluser]Matt S.[/eluser]
Why wait? Even though CI 2.0 is still in development it is stable enough to use. As long as you don't modify the core files you can keep updating the system folder as they are developing the source code in the repository.

I would say just go ahead and start building on CI 2.0 now. They have made some name changes to the core classes and directory structure, so if you start developing on 1.7.x now, you're going to have to go back and change the class names and constructors to be compliant with PHP 5.

You can grab a copy of CI 2.0 at the CodeIgniter Bitbucket and click on "get source" on the top right. The User Guide contained in the download is updated (for the most part) to highlight 2.0s features.

[eluser]DChill[/eluser]
I concur. I am a leader of a development team, and we just decided to implement CI for all our apps going forward. The 2.0 codebase seemed stable enough to me that we pulled it down and are beginning development with it. I don't want to have to go back and convert many developers' code from 1.7 and PHP4 object nomenclature later when 2.0 is officially released.

[eluser]heavenquake[/eluser]
Even if you do choose to stick with 1.7 until the official release of 2.0 (although I agree that 2.0 is stable enough for everyday use already), it's really not much of a hassle to upgrade later on. I am sure there will be plenty of bash scripts available at that point that will do the substitutions necessary automatically. Much of it is simply a matter of naming conventions of classes and methods changing, and new features being added, deprecated libraries (like the validation library, superseded by the form_validation library -- which is already the only documented version of the library in 1.7) being removed from the source tree. The impact on existing code should be minimal.

That said, I'd also agree that you should just jump head-first into 2.0, it's quite stable and very sexy.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB