Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI events listing app?

[eluser]Fred Riley[/eluser]
Hi all. I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this request in, so if it's off-topic do please tell me where I should post it. I'm looking to create an events listing application that would list events as text in chronological order, with each title being a link to further details. The app should also allow authenticated users to contribute, and be able to export the event details as XML or similar.

Now, before you shout "look at the Okada and Tutsplus events calendars", I've got to emphasise that I don't want a graphical calendar-style view, just a list. For example, here's a crappy static HTML one I currently maintain which I want to replicate:

http://sonet.nottingham.ac.uk/events/

I could roll one from scratch, but I'm sure others must have done this and I hate duplicating effort, plus the reason why the list above is static is because it's quicker and easier in the short to medium term to manually edit it than to spend a few days developing a custom application. I can't justify days of work to my bosses for such a trivial application.

So, does anyone know of a ready-rolled or partly-rolled CI application of this sort? I've Googled for "codeigniter events calendar" and "codeigniter events listing" but haven't hit what I'm after. Perhaps a text listing goes under another name altogether. Neither could I find anything suitable in this forum, though again maybe I'm using the wrong search string.

Thanks for any suggestions/tips.

Fred

[eluser]a.rishwan[/eluser]
Hmm, allow me to speak on what I have understood.

What you want is an events listing application. That allows you to create an event, log the day, month and year along with the event description, and next you want a listing of that said view? more like a collation of all?

I do agree that building a custom calendar module is tedious for such a task. I too have scoured the internet for something of this sort, but what I needed was way different.

As to what you want. I suggest writing a simple one of your own. But the simplicity of it entirely remains on the requirements.

Like: - Does each given day have a limitation on 1 event? Or more?
- Is there a date range for when these events occur? (your work would be easier if so)

So why dont you elaborate a tad bit more.. might be able to help simplify it for ya.

Plus - building something simple with CodeIgniter wont take you too long.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
I wonder if iClassEngine could do this? It's a classifieds engine but at the same time it's a content management system with support for pages and whatnot.

Vheissu: I do not think that is what is needed here.

besides, its for purchase.. no need to BUY something for such a simple need. I'd still say there is probably someones library or whatever that might do this, OR doing this from scratch is way worth it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that it would only take a day or two to roll something in CI, and indeed it would be a good programming exercise as I'm still relatively new to the framework. I just wanted to check that an application didn't already exist that would fulfil my needs, and it looks like there isn't so I'll go ahead and develop something. Hell, I may even release it to the CI community if I think it's good enough Smile

Cheers

Fred

That would be cool. let me know if I can help! ... I have something like this in the works..it works fairly well.. but very much in the draft stage. Its pretty much like you want it to be.
- User can select through a range of dates
- Once a date is selected, all available timeslots are shown
- User clicks to book, and gives in the details for the event
and vola! a the new event is shown in any view I wish.

Just have to work out some good navigations.

I began work on it just today after replying to your post at first. Now I have something working. Smile I dont know for sure this is exactly what you want it to be. Smile

If you want to check it out, let me know.

A quickie to add to this topic: the events database at <a href="http://www.health.heacademy.ac.uk/news-events/eventsbox/events2011">http://www.health.heacademy.ac.uk/news-events/eventsbox/events2011</a> is just the sort of thing I'm looking to implement. The user can see a listing of events at a glance, and can use the calendar to focus on a particular month if required. Each list item points to a longer record. And yes, I have asked them for the code, but it would be nicer to do it in CI.

Fred

go here.. www.maleartfestival.net.mv -> you will have to create a user there to see what I did.

If you want the code to it, let me know. It is fully done in CI. And its pretty simple and straight forward.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB