Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
multiple application folders with single system folder

[eluser]Energetic Pixels[/eluser]
Ok. I am currently developing 3 CI driven websites/applications. On the first 'dummy' site I developed, I took the hint that I see in various tutorials and pulled the application folder out of the system folder. I placed the application folder at the same 'level' as the system.

Can I have 3 application folders (one for each of the websites I am developing) and then only 1 system folder?? Or do I need to have a master folder for each of the sites that I devleop in the future that contains an application folder and system folder. The sites that I am developing have a high probability to be hosted on the same physical server somewhere.

Tony

[eluser]smilie[/eluser]
You can use 1 system folder and (unlimited) number of application folders.
Just remember to point each application (config) to the same system folder.
I have been using this for some time now and it works like a charm.

Also, another tip in this construction. In case you have libraries or helpers that will be used by more then 1 application - then put them in the system folder and not in each application. This way, you have to maintain only 1 library / helper for all your websites instead of one instance per application.

Cheers,
Smilie

Thank you for the quick reply. Sorry for my delay in getting back to ya. In my 'day job', I am a deployable person for my company. I almost never know where I am going until just before I get on the plane. And they never give me any notice.

I am glad to see that I can use multiple application folders with a single system folder. But I have a couple of questions:
1. is the folder name "application" significant?? Or can I change it to fit my specific application contained within??

2. Your second sentence is throwing me for a loop. When I institute the many app folders with one system, I need to pay particular attention to the $config['base_url']. Is that what your meaning by pointing each application to the same system folder?? And then I control each application through the routes.php page??

Tony

[eluser]Madmartigan1[/eluser]
Open up your application/index.php and have a look around, that should answer some of your questions.

All of the path constants are set there.

Madmartigan,

That helps a whole lot!! Thanks!! I followed the comment in the .php file to the Managing your Applications help file location. I understand about moving the application folder around and even the system. Big lightbulb!!! I even saw the note at the bottom about being able to rename the index.php to anything that I want.
Wahoo hoo.

tony

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I have similar setup. One system folder and multiple application folders. Is it possible to access models and controllers from one application into another application?

[eluser]osci[/eluser]
Each application is isolated from the other applications

[eluser]fRkSsK[/eluser]
(edit) solved

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB