Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Do all CodeIgniter books suck?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="phpserver" date="1292890363"]What i am beginning to believe is that there can never be one codeigniter book that teaches codeigniter better more than the user guide does.Attempts at it have seemed to me as confirming what i already read in the codeigniter user guide and the forums.[/quote]

Right, there is no real point in teaching the basics of CodeIgniter in a book, because its already been done. Download the PDF version of the user guide and print it off if you want the best book.

[eluser]oldblueday[/eluser]
I'm not a coder, just wanted to learn to do stuff for my day job, but needed help. I read a lot on php and the PacktPub book (Jose Argudo) had a lot of problems but was helpful. Now when I go to the User Guide, it makes a lot more sense to me. Nothing is perfect, but the NetTuts, PacktPub and UserGuide together do a lot to help.

[eluser]BigDon[/eluser]
I have personally read both the Packt books on CI and think they are about 75% useless! They repeat the same code examples that are given in the CI user's guide, jump around from topic to topic, and fail to complete a project from beginning to end.

While I do not doubt that both young men who wrote those books are both talented and knowledgeable about using CI, they don't know squat about writing an instruction manual. I have them both set aside as "throne-room reading material" and that's all the use they have for me!!

[eluser]VicToMeyeZR[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1292883849"]I was meant to be writing an advanced Cookbook for Packt but they pulled plug last minute. Jerks. I'm just turning it into an advanced screencast series instead.

You can learn everything you need to get started from the user guide. The rest just comes down to play and Google.[/quote]

DOn't forget read ^ his blog and his sites. Phil will teach you more, than just about anyone I have seen with CI. Smile

Just thought I would throw that plug in there. After all he is the new Community Branch master. Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB