Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Do all CodeIgniter books suck?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I've watched the CI tutorials on NetTuts, read the manual and feel like my CI knowledge is lacking in certain areas. I'd really like to buy a book on the subject but from what I can tell, they're all terrible.

Many of the Amazon reviews cite out-dated information, code errors, major grammatical flaws, and books that are just basic overviews. Can this be true -- is there really no in-depth literature on CI aside from the manual?

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
The best Codeigniter book you can get is free and it's not really a book. It's the awesome documentation found in the Codeigniter user guide. Disect other Codeigniter developer's code to see how they did things, I learnt by looking at Bamboo invoices, PyroCMS, Mojomotor and other various Codeigniter power applications I could find on Github and Bitbucket.

[eluser]mdvaldosta[/eluser]
Yes they all suck, in their own ways. Just keepreading what you can get your hands on, and keep coding.

[eluser]robustus[/eluser]
I *just* got through reading through the options on Amazon - looks pretty pathetic. I'm going through the NetTuts tutorials right now as well, but I'm pretty disappointed that there's no decent book on CI. Oh well.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
If you want to be a master of CI, you should read the php documentation at php.net. I say this because CI doesn't do everything you will want it to do without a little standard php thrown in to the mix. Also, if you don't know why the framework is helping you, then you may not realize what is going on. If you have great php skills, then maybe you just need more experience. I never read a CI book, but have read about 5 on php, and have been using php for about 5 years. I first started with Kohana, and then switched to CI. I will say that learning MVC was confusing to me at first, because I had always coded procedurally.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Adam Griffiths recently published a CI 1.7 book, which I understand is not bad (haven't read it myself).

[quote author="WanWizard" date="1292856987"]Adam Griffiths recently published a CI 1.7 book, which I understand is not bad (haven't read it myself).[/quote]

That book got terrible reviews on Amazon.

Don't get me wrong, CI is pretty darn easy to learn via the user-guide, and due to its inherent simplicity, but I at least tend to like augmenting that sort of learning with a decent book on a topic. Especially with something like CI, a good book would make best practices apparent and discuss various practical architectural/design considerations when using CI to implement a medium/large project.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I was meant to be writing an advanced Cookbook for Packt but they pulled plug last minute. Jerks. I'm just turning it into an advanced screencast series instead.

You can learn everything you need to get started from the user guide. The rest just comes down to play and Google.

[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1292883849"]I was meant to be writing an advanced Cookbook for Packt but they pulled plug last minute. Jerks. I'm just turning it into an advanced screencast series instead.

You can learn everything you need to get started from the user guide. The rest just comes down to play and Google.[/quote]

Thought your name looked familiar - turns out it's in the directory name of the CodeIgniter REST server I just downloaded. I'm building a little REST API that will be my first real CodeIgniter project.

Anyways, I'd love to see a real book written on CI covering professional dev best-practices with CI for medium/large scale projects. Yes, I know the info is available online, but some people just learn better (or at least more happily) via a good book on the topic.

[eluser]phpserver[/eluser]
What i am beginning to believe is that there can never be one codeigniter book that teaches codeigniter better more than the user guide does.Attempts at it have seemed to me as confirming what i already read in the codeigniter user guide and the forums.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB