Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
We challenge you to find a framework that has better performance than CodeIgniter.

[eluser]Bart v B[/eluser]
Quote:Use CodeIgniter, configure your own conventions, get on with making stuff Smile

I agree with Phil.

[eluser]Evollution[/eluser]
[quote author="Twisted1919" date="1293320032"]
6) A true Active Record class (CI's AR is actually a query builder not Active Record perse)
[/quote]

CI:$query = $this->db->get('table_name', 10, 20);

YII:

$connection=Yii::app()->db;
$sql = 'SELECT * FROM tbl_mytable LIMIT 10,20';
$command=$connection->createCommand($sql);
$rows=$command->queryAll();

--- i dont understand how you can like this AR .. is much hard to understand how it works + i dont see any advantage

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="Evollution" date="1293591093"][quote author="Twisted1919" date="1293320032"]
6) A true Active Record class (CI's AR is actually a query builder not Active Record perse)
[/quote]

CI:$query = $this->db->get('table_name', 10, 20);

YII:

$connection=Yii::app()->db;
$sql = 'SELECT * FROM tbl_mytable LIMIT 10,20';
$command=$connection->createCommand($sql);
$rows=$command->queryAll();

--- i dont understand how you can like this AR .. is much hard to understand how it works + i dont see any advantage[/quote]

That's not what he meant, he was talking about their ActiveRecord library not their database class:

http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/guide/1....atabase.ar

[eluser]Twisted1919[/eluser]
[quote author="Bart v B" date="1293578826"]
Quote:Use CodeIgniter, configure your own conventions, get on with making stuff Smile

I agree with Phil.[/quote]
You think i haven't done so ?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I'm sure you have, just not sure why you're banging on about Yii in here.

@Evollution:
Code:
$result = Post::model()->findAll();
//or
$c = new CDbCriteria;
$c->limit=20;
$result = Post::model()->findAll($c);
But Phil is right, i was talking about something else.

Phil, the person who started this thread said that he challange us to find a "better" framework than CI and while i am using Yii beside CI, i shared my experience and my pros for Yii and cons for CI (here the cons matters because is a constructive discussion) .

[eluser]Boris Strahija[/eluser]
Yii is camel case, ugh Wink

[eluser]Sam Dark[/eluser]
Yii and CI are different and both are very good. In spite of now I'm Yii core developer, I can say I still love CI for its approach, excellent documentation and community.

Once CI gave me a second breath when I was frustrated trying to find something easy to learn that helps development and doesn't block the way I've used to write code.

Last year was a hard time for CI and I really started to believe EllisLab is going to abandon it focusing on EE completely. Glad that's changed and CI community now have reactor (btw., saw Derek Allard commits there and that's a very good sign).

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
[quote author="Twisted1919" date="1293521267"]
Quote:Twisted1919 and what you dont like on CI

Anyway, everyone is free to do what they want, if you don't like CI, you can move to something else when you want, of course this is a frustrating action after you spent almost 2 years with CI and all your large projects(more than 50) are written in CI and you are forced to stay with CI on most of them, because you don't have time to rewrite them all. Even if, overall, i had my good times with CI (still have) , if i were a newbie again, i would think twice before choosing it, that's the hard truth.

[/quote]

This makes me laugh, 50 large projects in two years? I hope you have a very large team of developers...
Me and my team are on our second project in 4-5 years. Started with CI 1.5. Try spending 12-20 fte for 3-4 years on one project, then you know what a large project is.

Everyone likes a certain framework more then others. For me it's the documentation and the fact CI is backup op by a commercial company. It makes it more stable then other frameworks since they have a financial stake in it.

Maybe other frameworks are 'better'.. So what? If I had to do it all over again I would spend six months testing the different frameworks and still choose CI, at least if there is no other framework with similar documentation, speed and commercial backup

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB