Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
installing CI

[eluser]Hasn[/eluser]
Hi Everyone,
I know this might be a very simple question, but I am new to CI and I have tried looking for the right answer before posting anything here..

I installed Apache2 on a Linux VM machine,
I have created a virtual host called www.test.com
I have linked the url to the folder /home/www/www.test.com/htdocs which is where all the web files of this website stored.
so now when I navigate to the http://www.test.com I get the files in that folder..

Now to install CI I copied (System, user_manual, and index.php) all to the /home/www/www.test.com/htdocs folder
and changed the url_base in the application/config/config.php file to http://www.test.com and even tried just test.com
and both are not working..

When I navigate to http://www.test.com/index.php I get a blank page so I am concluding that the installation of CI is not correct..

I believe I am missing something simple somewhere,
would highly appreciate any help or comment
Thanks

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
For one, you also need to edit the index.php file and set the
system and application folders.

InsiteFX

[eluser]Hasn[/eluser]
Hi InsiteFX,

Thanks for your reply,
those files are set up by the index.php, I assume bcoz both index.php and those folders are in the same folder so their names should be correct.

Even after I read your post, I edit it and gave the full path for both files and still not working..

I know this must be a very simple thing that I am missing but seems very hard to me to find it..

any other suggestion would be highly appreciated

Cheers

[eluser]bl00dshooter[/eluser]
Since you said you installed Apache2 manually...

Have you actually installed PHP and is running it? PHP doesn't come with Apache.

Also, I can't see why would you install a web server inside a Virtual Machine. It's much easier to just install in your computer, especially with something like MAMP (For the mac), LAMP (for linux) or WAMP (for windows). There is really no need to run a virtual machine for that.

[eluser]Hasn[/eluser]
Hi bl00dshooter

Thanks for your reply,
I have Apache2 installed and working fine, also php5 is also installed and working very well as I have tested few php pages and seems that there is no problem with that..

About the virtual machine, it is because I did not want to have this working environment separate from the other things that I am working on on my mac

Thanks, do you have any other suggestion or things that I need to look into ??
Cheers

[eluser]Hasn[/eluser]
Thanks guys

I just fixed it,
I was sure that Apache and php are working fine
so It was a permission issue, I came to realise that I was using FTP client to upload the files to the server with myname account, which Apache is using root account, so it could not read it..

So when I uploaded the files from command line with root account it worked fine..

But now what surprises me, I gave chmod 777 for the ci folder and to the index.php file but that did not fix it, is not that odd???

Cheers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB