Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Functions in Controllers (beginner)

[eluser]Michal1[/eluser]
Hello,

I am still trying to figure out in my head, how exactly functions works in Controllers. I understand that function index () is always the function which is called when exact controller is loaded

so for example if I have a controller site and inside this I have

Code:
function index()

{
echo "blablabla";

}

then when myadress.com/site is loaded I get this echo. But I do not understand an usage of other functions in controller.

Lets say I have this function also inside my site controller which communicates with model function which inserts some data into database:

Code:
function add_records()

{

$data = array(
               'Name' => 'John' ,
               'Lastname' => 'Henry'

);

$this->site_model->insert_data($data);
    $this->load->view('site_view');

}

now I know that when I want to call this function i need to type this url: myadress.xxx/index.php/site/add_records

And then it will work and data will be inserted into database. However in this case it is useless, because I need to use this function when index of site controller is used. So I know I could take the whole code from add_records() and insert it into index() function. But then when I have more lines of code, it would be kinda confused and I would get lost easily in a future.

So what I am trying to realise is, what is the right approach for this? I am pretty sure I am missing something. I would want to have something, that I could use a function add_records() in function index() so data will be inserted when index is called.

Or do I get it wrong and calling it exactly in index function is the only way?

I am sorry for hard explaining, however I just like to thinkg about everything to understand how does it exactly work :-)

[eluser]Atharva[/eluser]
Code:
function index()

{
echo "blablabla";
$this->add_records();

}

This will do your job.

[eluser]Michal1[/eluser]
Ah I am stupid, thanks :-)

Just a question, is it a right approach? Or you would not advice me this.

[eluser]Akinzekeel[/eluser]
Just like in any other object you can call methods like this:

Code:
$this->add_records()

Since you probably don't want anyone to simply call the add_records() method via URL, I suggest you should make it private like this:

Code:
private function add_records() { ... }

So http://example.com/example_controller/add_records will result in a 404 Not Found error.

[eluser]Atharva[/eluser]
[quote author="Michal1" date="1295026492"]Ah I am stupid, thanks :-)

Just a question, is it a right approach? Or you would not advice me this.[/quote]

As mentioned by sHiRoKKo1337, you can make the function private, and making it dynamic by passing it $first_name and $last_name. But if function index is doing nothing, then why not to have insert code and view loading in that function? Also, you don't want insert static values, I am sure you will have form, validation rules etc. So it really depends on the situation and choice.

[eluser]Michal1[/eluser]
Thank you very much much guys.

It is a good point with private function. This is such a helpful forum :-)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB