Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
EMAIL!! Help meeeeeee

[eluser]cobolCowboy[/eluser]
It got to the point where I want to send out a new account activation email to potential new accounts, and it's not happening.

Still on LOCALHOST, using a WAMPSERVER setup with Apache 2.2.11, PHP v.5.2.9-2

To send out mail from a localhost, do I need my own mailserver?
Do I have to install a mail server into the environment to send emails (PHPMailer perhaps).

Dumb as this may sound to you guys, I thought there's enough software out here between Apache, PHP, and Codeigniter to make sending an email a little less involved.

Please clue me in. Every body sends emails, I want to also.

[eluser]eoinmcg[/eluser]
yes, you do need to your own mail server to send from localhost. i don't know if this comes with WAMP but i rather doubt it. also your chances of being tagged of spam are much higher if you do send from localhost.

my suggestion would be to send from an actual email address. either set one up at gmail or use an existing email address.
here's how to connect and send via gmail using the email class: http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/84689/P0/

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
This is what I use and will self install!

Test Mail Server Tool

InsiteFX

[eluser]Roy MJ[/eluser]
Another localhost lilk wamp, but bit more user friendly i gues.. XAMPP will do the trick. It has got built in mailing application in the form of mercury. Check out http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

[eluser]cobolCowboy[/eluser]
I've tried every idea, suggestion I could find.
I'm not inclined to start downloading all kinds of mail apps.

I did notice that XAMPP comes with mercury mail.
Can XAMPP be installed together with the WAMP?

Will the XAMPP install wipe out my MySQL database?

I was hoping they could live together and share the databases, while I choose which one to work with.

[eluser]Roy MJ[/eluser]
Guess i haven used both at the same time. i dn think both can coexist cuz both are localhost ryt..?? but even in xampp uve to configure for the mail sending via localhost which i haven been able to figure out quite well..

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
SMTP Port = 25

InsiteFX

[eluser]Roy MJ[/eluser]
Just add the stmp port and its done??..

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB