Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New Application Idea

[eluser]troy_mccormick[/eluser]
Hey everyone. Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods.

I just wanted to post to let everyone know that I'm developing an application. Hooray, I hear you all say. Well, I think you may be more interested after a screen shot and maybe a list of ideas I have:

oi51.tinypic.com/4ha0zc.jpg
(FYI Admin's: This was the easy way around the not being an active member's not having the ability to post links...just simply remove the ht tp (no space) from the URL, and it works fine. May want to fix that... :-))

Elevator Pitch
This is the "poor mans" way of deploying code. I don't have access to install SVN or git or any other type of software on my shared hosts. I want to still be able to push code to those servers when I need be. I stumbled upon Webistrano and decided I could make it prettier and run on CodeIgniter. With the help of this post and some ideas from this post, I think I can build a pretty nifty utility for those of us in the same boat as I'm stuck in.

Hopeful Feature List
* Ability to roll back the code on a server should a deployment not work properly or incompletely
* Perform database backups and restores with the ability to add tables to be excluded
* Utilizing the one-click deploy mentioned above, have the ability to exclude certain files/directories from being deployed
* Read log files from any server/app
* Keep a log of each deployment with user notes so that you can look back and figure out why you pushed the code to a server and when

I'm sure there is more to come...these are just ideas I have and I wanted to share. Very little progress at this point, but was hoping to possibly get some feedback from some forum members. I'll probably hear "oh, that's stupid...I use SVN/git/whatever to do my deployments". Well, good for you, sir. I certainly wish I could accomplish the same :-)

Anyway...sorry for the mini-rant...what do you think? Interested?

Thanks...

Troy

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB