Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Validation

[eluser]schnoodles[/eluser]
Hello i am currently building a usersystem and i am up to the part where you check to see if the username and password is correct. i was wondering if there is a proper way to throw errors for functions to make them look like it was a validation error.

So i could do like

Code:
if ( $validation->run() == true ) {
if ( !$user->exists ) { //do like a validation error }
else {

}
}

Anyone know what the best way to accomplish what i am trying to do is ?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I do something like
Code:
$errors = '';
if(!$validation->run()){ $errors = $this->validation->error_string; }
if(!$user->exists){ $errors = 'User doesn\'t exist.'; }
if($errors == '')
{
    // error code
}
else
{
   // success code
}

Ahh that is really nice, i was just wondering if i can add an error message from $user->exists into $this->validation->error_string; at all. So it actually looks part of my user system.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
You could use the extended validation library talked about on the forum that enables you to write your own validators but checking if the user exists is not a common task so i don't know why you should need to have this error message as a validator.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
as an alternative you could make a callback function where you do the user exists check and you set a custom message but that is stretching the validation library a bit

Well that is what i want to do, but the problem is that i need to check the db with username AND password, and not just one or the other.

Is there a way to give a normal error message but add it into the validators error message system?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I don't know if it is going to work but you could extend the validation library with a user_exists rule
Code:
MY_Validation extends CI_Validation
{
    function user_exists($user,$password)
    {
       // database code
       return (exists)?TRUE:FALSE;
    }
}
in the controller you would have to do something like
Code:
$rules['username'] = "user_exists[password]";
Then you have to add the user_exists message to the validation language file.
Again i don't know if it works but if it does it seems to be a better way to extend the rules than using callbacks. The only drawback is the compatibility with future versions of the CI validation class.

Yah this is abit annoying, im going to have to delve into the code see if i can just add errors manually to the error_string because thats all i really want to do.

[eluser]Michael Ekoka[/eluser]
Hey Schnoodles, I don't know if I properly understand what you're asking, but this is what I would do:

- to create callback methods in your controller to check uniqueness and password validity:

Code:
function _is_unique($data){
    // set the validator error message here
     $this->validation->set_message('_is_unique', 'The %1$s is already taken.');

// do your normal queries to the database here to check if something is unique.
    // If not return false. The validator doesn't care what happens here, it just cares
    // to see if the callback returns false, in which case the previously set error
    // message is displayed.

}

function _valid_password($username){
    // set the validator error message here
     $this->validation->set_message('_valid_password', 'The Password is incorrect.');

// do your normal authentication routines here
}

Alternatively, you can look for the language file /language/english/validation_lang.php and add your error messages there. Following the format that you find in the file, just put the name of the callback method and the custom error message.

- Now to authenticate and use the validation mechanism you would do this upon submit:
Code:
$rules['username'] = 'callback__valid_password';
$fields['username'] = 'User name';
$fields['password'] = 'Password';
$this->validation->set_rules($rules);
$this->validation->set_fields($fields);
$valid  = $this->validation->run();

Not exactly, i cant use a standard callback because i want to compare USERNAME and PASSWORD in one hit. I have found a way around it although i am not sure if its the best way.

in Password Rules i use login_match[username] and the code i have is

Code:
<?php

class MY_Validation extends CI_Validation {

public function My_Validation()
        {
            parent::CI_Validation();
        }

/*
        * Add login_match[username] to your
        * password rules.
        */

public function login_match($str,$field)
        {
            if ( ! isset($_POST[$field]))
            {
                return FALSE;
            }

$this->CI->load->model('jb_usermodel');
            $user = new jb_usermodel();

if ( !$user->hasUser($_POST[$field],$str) && sizeof($this->_error_array) == 0)
            {
                $this->set_message('login_match', 'Your username or password is incorrect');
                return FALSE;
            }

return TRUE;
        }

}

?>

Hopefully that will give everyone a better idea of what i am trying to accomplish there. If anyone has a better way of doing this maybe without subclassing the Validation class i would love to hear it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB