Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
To ORM or not to ORM ?

[eluser]phpmonster[/eluser]
When does it make sense to implement an ORM with CodeIgniter such as Doctrine.

How many of you use for example Doctrine in your projects?

Just wondering if I should make that a default choice for all my new projects.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
In larger (up to you to define this) applications, I find that using an ORM saves time when building the application (most standard model methods are already present), and saves time when modifying the application (maintenance). Especially if you're not the writer of the application.
In commercial ventures, time == money, so faster development gives you a competitive edge.

On the downside, every abstraction layer adds processing time, and will make your application a bit slower. Again, in most commercial environments, the time (and thus money) saved on developers greatly outweights the cost of an extra CPU.

And don't forget, there's quite a bit of difference between the ORM's out there, both in terms of functionality and complexiity, and in performance. I haven't tested the latest Doctrine, but the 1.x was slow as hell... I suggest you test some and use the one you're comfortable with.

Thanks for your reply WanWizard.

It seems indeed as with any other aspect of development you have to decide which tools to use in which scenarios. In my case it's a relatively small accounting app.

What are the top 3 ORM used right now in conjunction with CI?

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I don't know. I use Datamapper, but, he, I'm biased... Wink

You know what I'm going to take a look at your Datamapper soon Tongue
Great documentation by the way!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB