Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Rename a file before compressing it with ZIP

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello everyone,

I was looking into the ZIP library as I wanted my users to be able to download several files at once on my site, the library works perfectly (as most CI stuff do) but I had a little problem: The file had their unique name that I use to make sure I can find them in the DB.What I wanted to do is rename the files with their original name before I put them in the Zip.

I added this function to the zip library:
Code:
function rename_and_read_file($path, $new_name, $preserve_filepath = FALSE)
{
  if ( ! file_exists($path))
  {
    return FALSE;
  }

if (FALSE !== ($data = file_get_contents($path)))
  {
    $full_path_with_name = str_replace("\\", "/", $path);
    $path_only = dirname($full_path_with_name);
    $new_name = $path_only.'/'.$new_name;

if ($preserve_filepath === FALSE)
   {
      $new_name = preg_replace("|.*/(.+)|", "\\1", $new_name);
   }

$this->add_data($new_name, $data);
    return TRUE;
  }
  return FALSE;
}

I'm sure this could be optimized but as is it does the job.
In my controller I use:
Code:
function download_bulk($file_ids)
{
    foreach($file_ids as $file_id)
    {
       if ($full_path_to_file = $this->files_model->find_file($file_id,$this->user_id))
       {
          $real_file_name = $this->files_model->get_full_filename($file_id);
          $this->zip->rename_and_read_file($full_path_to_file,$real_file_name);      
       }
    }

$this->zip->download('My_files.zip');  
  redirect('home'); //or where ever you want to..

}

As you can imagine (I'll spare the code for those as they depend on your implementation)
- the find_file(file_id,user_id) return the full path to the file as it is on the disk (with its unique name) or false if the file cannot be found (or you don't have ownership)
- the get_full_filename($file_id) is my files_model returns the originial name as a string like: myfile.pdf
- the $this->user_id is because I create a global variable in the class so I don't have to read the session user_id all the time. Don't know if it is worth it though in terms of performance.

I hope this helps. I'm open to comments and improvement on this.. For example I wonder if there is a smart way to check if two of the files have original name.. what happens when they are both put in the Zip then..

Cheers
Antony

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I forgot to say that ideally you would not change the Zip library per sey but really extends it through your own library:
application/libraries/MY_Zip.php

the codeigniter manual on this is pretty straight forward
cheers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB