Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI in Windows 2003 Server

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi Guys,
I am about to develop a site.
I want to use CI.
But the site is to be hosted in Windows 2003 Server.
My first live site in CI and in Windows 2003 Server with PHP & MySQL.

I want to know is there any known issue with CI in Win 2003 Server environment.

Share it if you have any.

[eluser]bikuta[/eluser]
i'd like to know too.
are there any real differences in using mysql vs mssql? performance? features?

[eluser]Vince Stross[/eluser]
I do very intensive CI development on a Win2k3 box using IIS and mySQL. I came from the ASP.NET/MS-SQL world and I will tell you that moving to CI/mySQL is a dream!

Let me know of you have any problems and I can help you troubleshoot them because I don't have any and never have. Smile

Short version: do it!

*** disclaimer:
CI running on a LAMP server is probably the best, and I definitely have some clients that require this - but I get page render times of .2 to .7 seconds in the WAMP environment and if you could see all the things I'm doing it would amaze you that it's running on Win2k3 and IIS!

[eluser]bikuta[/eluser]
How good is the PHP support on IIS? any issues or limitations?
I'm assuming you're using a third-party support software to enable php support in IIS. Is that right?

[eluser]frenzal[/eluser]
I got it working on IIS/Win2003, although it was a pain sometimes and I miss apache. Anyway rewrite will be the trickiest issue but I got it working with isapi rewrite.

@blkuta: PHP will run directly as an ISAPI extension - seamless. Here is a good walk-through for setting it up:

http://www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html

@frenzal: Yes, you're right - I didn't bother with the rewrite because it didn't work right away and I was just trying to get code igniter out of the box then. I may revisit setting-up the isapi rewrite extension. Do you have any good walk-throughs for doing that?

I generally use Win2k3 as my dev environment because if it will work there I know it will work on a LAMP server! Wink A lot of my prod environments are LAMP but some are definitely WAMP without any issues.

[eluser]frenzal[/eluser]
this is my rewrite code:
Code:
# Helicon ISAPI_Rewrite configuration file
# Version 3.1.0.34

#CODE IGNITER REWRITE - site.com

RewriteRule ^/js/(.*)$ /js/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/system/(.*)$ /system/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/css/(.*)$ /css/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/images/(.*)$ /images/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/upload/(.*)$ /upload/$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(?:www\.)?site\.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1

the first set of rules are because this won't work with the isapi rewrite unfortuantly:
Code:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

[eluser]Code Arachn!d[/eluser]
CI on LAMP is the best route - but in your case that's obviously not an option... I have been able to get it working fine on IIS/Win2k3 Server with MySQL and PHP installed as CGI - there are some limitations that I had to work around (especially with file uploads and email) but other than that it hasn't been any different than dev on a LAMP box.

frenzal's ISAPI_Rewrite bit is perfect, my own rewrite is like this:

Code:
# Defend your computer from some worm attacks
RewriteRule .*(?:global.asa|default\.ida|root\.exe|\.\.).* . [F,I,O]
RewriteCond URL ^/(?!theme_v1|file|icon|cgi-bin|outlook|tiny_mce|uploads|sandbox|sitemaps|index\.php|robots\.txt).*
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1 [L]

[eluser]bikuta[/eluser]
So would you guys would recommend MySQL over MSSQL? and if I'm developing for a W2k3 server, which would you recommend for the webserver, IIS or Apache?

If you have a choice - go with mysql and Apache.

I've used Ms-Sql for years and I would say it definitely serves a very good purpose for those who can afford it. I would work with multi-million dollar contracts and they just couldn't bring themselves to use a "Free" database server that would have done them just fine.

I use both. When developing ASP.NET apps I always use MS-SQL because it is "native" whereas PHP and mySQL are like peas and carrots - so to speak.

Short version: If you have a choice, when coding in PHP use mySQL.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB