Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What does CI not do for you?

[eluser]JonoB[/eluser]
Hi all,

I have just been getting my feet wet with trying out CI and MVC frameworks in general.

I've had a look at a few others. CakePHP was pretty good, but the automagic was just too much, and I found myself having to undo it most of the time. I looked at yii as well, and symfony too. But I kept coming back to CI - the simplicity just works.

So, CI is great, easy and intuitive. I have now built a fair part of an app using it.

I have some concern, that being so simple it lacks some features that may come back to bite me as I get into the more complex parts of the app.

So, my question to you, seasoned pros: by going with CI am I going to miss out on some features that other frameworks provide? In your experience, have you ever found any of these to be deal breakers? If you have either moved to or from CI, what caused you to do so?

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
You have to build most of the libraries yourself (which can be considered a good thing). As long as you remember to write them in a way that can integrate easily in new projects, you should be able to build your own extensive library of libraries. There really isn't much you can't do with CodeIgniter since it's basically plain PHP with a router and an easy db connector.

[eluser]rogerwaldrup[/eluser]
When you say you're getting your feet wet with CI and MVC frameworks,.....basically your saying you're getting involved with software architecture,....one that is considered an architectural pattern used in software engineering. You're talking about isolating "domain logic"
I think you'll be ok if you stick with it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB