Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Multiple instances of application, shared user database

[eluser]mvdg27[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I have a conceptual question about how to set up multiple instances of my application efficiently. The application is a project management tool. In it's most simplest form users can create 'projects', add 'issues' to each project and comment on these issues. The application uses Datamapper ORM for the database models.

Ok, so I got everything working, but now I'm running into some problems with having multiple instances of the application (i.e. multiple accounts). In my single setup, I simply have a database table with users alongside the other database tables.

In a multiple accounts setup I would want to separate the users from the application itself. Meaning that 1 user creates the account, which will be assigned to a personal subdomain. This user should now get his own fresh database install. Subsequently this user can add other users to his account. And all these users in principle would get their own full account as well.

Now there is the situation that each single application should be aware all the global users, mainly to:

- display the correct screenname
- see if the user has access to the project
- receive updates about the issues

My main question is: how can I manage multiple separate applications/databases, while still connecting them together through a global user database? Oh .. and off course I'd like to keep using Datamapper ORM Smile

Anyway, I'm stuck with this now .. I hope someone can shed some fresh light on how to go about this. All suggestions are welcome. If things are unclear, I'd be happy to elaborate!

Cheers, Michiel

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB