Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Member / Auth System that just works?

[eluser]Clone[/eluser]
Is there a user / authentication system that just works with the newest Codeigniter? I saw Tank Auth which doesn't have groups that I need. DX Auth I'm sure will work eventually if I keep at it but its kind of a pain because I keep running into compatibility issues.

[eluser]Pschilly[/eluser]
There are a few out there that work quite well...

Ion-Auth works well and is compatible with 2.0.x. Also, WolfAuth works as well... But he is recently changing some things not sure if it's done yet.

Ultimately if theres nothing that suits you, make your own.

Also, Search is your friend... There are so many auth systems on these forums is crazy.

[eluser]Clone[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply. I did do a search but its finding one that works well and is secure thats the trick. Recommendations are nice. I could create a system myself but why re-invent the wheel when there are pretty much always a good system out there.

[eluser]Ben Edmunds[/eluser]
Clone,

Ion Auth works and is used by thousands of sites.

[eluser]Clone[/eluser]
Ben, I was actually just about to upload it and try it out. Looks really nice.

Thanks!

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
I would suggest for now using Ion Auth. WolfAuth I am currently rewriting to be driver based using Codeigniter 2.0 drivers functionality and a stable feature packed version will be out sometime this week as I am putting the finishing touches on it now.

[eluser]Clone[/eluser]
[quote author="Vheissu" date="1301851509"]I would suggest for now using Ion Auth. WolfAuth I am currently rewriting to be driver based using Codeigniter 2.0 drivers functionality and a stable feature packed version will be out sometime this week as I am putting the finishing touches on it now.[/quote]

I would be interested to know what your auth system has that Ion Auth doesn't. Ion Auth is well documented and easy to use. Do you have documentation? Security is a big issue with me as well.

I am starting a big project and don't want to keep switching Authentication systems in the middle of development.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
[quote author="Clone" date="1302040450"][quote author="Vheissu" date="1301851509"]I would suggest for now using Ion Auth. WolfAuth I am currently rewriting to be driver based using Codeigniter 2.0 drivers functionality and a stable feature packed version will be out sometime this week as I am putting the finishing touches on it now.[/quote]

I would be interested to know what your auth system has that Ion Auth doesn't. Ion Auth is well documented and easy to use. Do you have documentation? Security is a big issue with me as well.

I am starting a big project and don't want to keep switching Authentication systems in the middle of development.[/quote]

If you want feature packed right out of the gate, stick with Ion Auth. Whilst Wolfauth is going to be awesome, it's not going to have all of the bells and whistles that Ion Auth has right away.

The only difference is that Wolfauth is driver based and Ion Auth isn't, hardly a deal breaker. However, a driver based approach in my opinion is best if you want to have different authentication methods like Twitter, Facebook, etc all in separate driver files for easier management.

Initially Wolfauth will not have fancy things like activations and emailing functionality which Ion Auth has. That will come via additional drivers later on in a few weeks after launch or so depending on time constraints.

Wolfauth does not use groups like Ion Auth does, instead low level role based authentication is used instead.

The initial release of Wolfauth will also come with a simple ACL like set up which allows you to restrict access to class methods and functions based on either usernames or role ID's.

So if you need things like user activation/email notifications and all that kind of stuff, your best bet is to stick with Ion Auth.

[eluser]Clone[/eluser]
I appreciate the detailed explanation. I will keep WolfAuth in mind for future projects. For what I need Ion Auth seems to be perfect. The Groups and additional customizations are needed for the project I am working on.

Thanks

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB