Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How does Google Instant affect us? What do we consider now in our URL and controller design?

[eluser]skattabrain[/eluser]
So I find myself thinking this Google Instant is cool and not so cool. Now that users are going to sometimes be requesting pages they don't want... I think any action I have built into a URL style trigger needs to be recreated into a POST action.

Any action that changes a setting or a switch is going to have to be a POST action. I guess it's probably bad that I haven't always adhered to this... but now I don't think we have a choice. Granted, CI has really by it's nature helped me make most actions form based over GET.

So does this also make trouble for analytics? I track logged in users to help understand the how's and why's of what they do... but this push content... man, how does this effect this all?

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I'm not using the right words in my google searches I guess... has anyone written anything on the implications of Google Instant on our sites and development styles?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
That has always been the case, Google Instant effects nothing. If you have a /delete/1 link then it could be loaded by anyone at any time.

Don't go changing everything over to POST just for the hell of it. This hasn't changed anything in how the internet works.

[eluser]skattabrain[/eluser]
no, I guess you are kinda right, but i'm still not comfortable enough to dismiss it. they are throwing up options I would not naturally click.

I start typing a URL, I want to go to ... domain.com/company/abc-corp/view

I get this far - domain.com/company/abc-corp/v - and it fires up a link to domain.com/company/abc-corp/vote

Moving forward, I'll make sure anything serious has a POST. I guess I used to get lazy and make some non-critical options a URL switch. but i guess this example is irrelevant because the only options i'm thinking about now would require login acess, so that won't be tossed up as an option in instant or make it to se results.

but it can skew analytics, how can it not? now we're throwing pages up that the user would not have visited or sees for a flash. this seems like gross bandwidth abuse. (not talking address bar search results, but the actual pages)

that all said, i do like the functionality instant brings

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB