Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Database library proposal : human to slq

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Bug-free software from thoughts wow that is thinking out of the box Smile So if code isn't written well we can blame the developing software Smile

It would create a overhead in my proof of concept code where i'm going to use the CI database library but the final code would translate the statement without that extra step.

It will be another language i agree but one that is closer to natural speech.

Maybe it's not fit to generate queries that get used often but what about a part of a source code generation library. You have a file where you write all your sentences (statements) for the models and the right queries are created.

It's all thinking aloud i'm doing here.

[eluser]PhoenixPowered[/eluser]
I could see something like this being useful for like an adhoc style reporting piece to an application. As for joining tables below would be what I would somewhat expect.

Code:
SELECT * FROM table1 INNER JOIN table2 ON table1.field1 = table2.fieald2

Quote:get everything from table1 joining table2 while field1 of table1 equals field1 of table2

This actually sounds like fun. The benefit of doing something like this for an adhoc reporting piece would be that you as the developer would be able to exert some control over how the end-user is actually going to query the data. So as to save the user from themselves. I know a friend of mine just wrote a LOLCode provider, for fun no-less, to do sql stuff on a .NET library we work.

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
[quote author="PhoenixPowered" date="1194480416"] This actually sounds like fun. The benefit of doing something like this for an adhoc reporting piece would be that you as the developer would be able to exert some control over how the end-user is actually going to query the data. So as to save the user from themselves. I know a friend of mine just wrote a LOLCode provider, for fun no-less, to do sql stuff on a .NET library we work.[/quote]

yep you could have an interface that the user can build up by selecting a series of drop down lists, which updates depending on the previous drop down.. maybee you can have an API into you application that had (get_me_next_possible_action($query_built_so_far).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB