Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Aptana 3 and CodeIgniter 2 code completion

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
@Daniel Moore - Stepping debugger with conditionals, git integration, github integration, able to switch php versions on the fly for testing?

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
@CroNiX, everything except git. It uses SVN and CVS, and has plans to implement git in the future. Switching PHP versions on the fly? Wouldn't use an IDE without it. Stepping debugger? Please, I hate echo statements for debugging. Of course it does.

I don't use git, I use SVN. Period. So not a big deal for me.

I can, however, integrate command line tools and make it function seamlessly with git by adding hot-keys and/or menu commands to handle that. It's quite easy to do with UEStudio. I have done it for a great many other things and it works great. For a seasoned UEStudio user, the only thing I would have to learn is the git syntax, which shouldn't take long since I'm seasoned in SVN already. It's only a bit different in how it is implemented.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Does the stepping debugger let you use conditional breakpoints? Like "$a = 'mickey'" so it will only halt if the condition is met? I haven't used SVN for years and most projects use GIT nowadays, so git would be crucial for me and projects I pick up. Thanks for the clarifications, the website doesn't spell everything out.

I've never used conditional breakpoints in my life, and I've been programming since the mid-1970s. I actually can't think of an example where I'd use it, but I suppose it must come up somewhere.

So, I just checked to see if UEStudio does it. It does not. I have just tested a few other commercial IDE products that have integrated debugging, though these IDE products do not handle PHP, they are for specific compiled languages only, which are more likely to do more with debugging. None of them actually support conditional breakpoints. Could be why I've never used them.

I'll talk with the support department about the possible use of GIT in the upcoming version before I go to any trouble to try to integrate it. I'll let you know what the answer is. I'll also question them about the possible upgrade to conditional breakpoints and see what they have to say about it. That's another beauty of having a product that is paid for from a good and decent company. They offer lifetime support, and they have never once been rude about support in any way, bending over backwards to help wherever they can. Many of the features I have requested over the last 5 years have been implemented, including the way it parses a project in order to set up all the auto-complete lists for you.

Including the upcoming "Smart Templates" which act as an unlimited storage of snippets, and now I'm really getting off topic. Didn't mean to steal it. I'll let you know what support has to say, hopefully it will be implemented.

Answer from IDM support department is that there is no conditional breakpoints, but they have added it to their "list of features" for future addition.

GIT support is on a list for future features as well, but is not being considered for the upcoming release at all. It's further down the road.

I have done some reviewing of GIT and the process it takes to integrate it into applications. There are a lot of problems there, and the developers of GIT know they need to make changes to make it possible. It is very unfriendly, slow, and ugly when you integrate it into applications. Eclipse has a plug in, but it is poorly done, slow, and the code for it requires a ton of parsing of the bash output.

Git is great if you want to do everything from the bash shell. That's what it was written for. It's fast, it is powerful, but it is also very unfriendly and extremely difficult to integrate into an editor/IDE.

I'd recommend getting TortoiseGIT and forget trying to integrate GIT itself in an IDE. Every implementation I read about was bad enough to undo all the advantages that GIT actually has over SVN and others. Eclipse itself, as slow and bulky as it is, tends to undo all the advantages of GIT, which is mainly speed.

TortoiseGIT will bring back the speed of GIT, and UEStudio will give you the speed everywhere else.

Now, back to conditional breakpoints... there is a workaround, but it isn't pretty.
Code:
if ($a = 'mickey') {
  if ($a = 'mickey') { } // set breakpoint on this line
  // regular code here
}
The above example will break on the second if statement ONLY if it is True, since it has to pass the first identical if statement evaluation before it reaches the break point. Like I said, it isn't pretty, but it is functional. This is the only way I have ever done it. As rare as I actually need a conditional breakpoint, which is very, very rare, then this doesn't seem like such a big deal for me since there are other ways to do it.

[eluser]clod[/eluser]
I am happy with Codelobster
It has a plug-in for CodeIgniter autocomplete and context help

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB