Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Just a little help before i start using codeigniter!

[eluser]hali6sic6[/eluser]
Hi, I'm an html/css designer with a week knowledge of php and i would like to know some things before i start learning codeigniter

1-What level of php is required for creating pro level applications with codeigniter
2-can i do this with codeigniter:
photo contests
calendar/events
user articles
user news
user photo albums
did you know section
picture of the day
recommended locations (this is a hiking website and I want users to have the ability to recommend places for other users on a public page, where everyone can see)
location of the week (this in case "recommended locations" is possible and votable, and based on the votes a location of the week will be determined)
forum
user stats: all activity

Thank you in advance!

[eluser]darrentaytay[/eluser]
Codeigniter has no limitations - anything you can do in PHP can be done in Codeigniter, it's simply a framework for you to build your applications on in a structured and organized way using the MVC design pattern.

There are alot of tutorials out there for Codeigniter which run you through the entire process of building a blog, for example.

The best point of reference is the unrivalled Codeigniter Userguide ( http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/ )

Thank you! That clears up a lot of things for me but unfortunately I'm not a good php programmer frankly i can almost say don't know php so would you recommend me learning php first or diving in to codeigniter and learn along the way?

I couldn't answer that I'm afraid - I really don't know what the best way forward would be.

For a beginner, the idea of MVC (or Object Oriented Programming) might be a little tough to grasp so it might be worth while getting a good PHP book or something first and working through it.

[eluser]atno[/eluser]
I suggest you to start with http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp, keep http://www.php.net open in a web browser tab, create many MANY small applications to get used to PHP and get familiar with newbie error and then take a look at a framework.

Thank You Atno & Darrentaytay!...i can imagine how long would it take me to learn php....But after i know php how Lang dos it take to master codeigniter?

Hehe, I guess you would need a "master" to answer that Tongue

[eluser]atno[/eluser]
[quote author="hali6sic6" date="1305396170"]Thank You Atno & Darrentaytay!...i can imagine how long would it take me to learn php....But after i know php how Lang dos it take to master codeigniter?[/quote]

You'll master codeigniter when you'll master PHP Smile as CI is just a PHP framework not a programming language. Start reading and dont worry about mastering stuff. When you do others will tell you, you'll just wont get it Smile

[eluser]CI2RULZ[/eluser]
I agree, but also disagree. The great thing about using a framework, is a lot of classes have already been written for you... you simply need to apply their application. in that sense, you really don't need to know php, you just need to know how to apply the patterns. frankly, i don't see it being any more difficult learning php while using CI2 then it would be to not use CI... in fact, with all the documented examples in the user guide, i'd say it's probably even easier. mvc is not a complicated concept, it was just foreign to developers that didn't follow that pattern for years. frankly, i think it's much easier to get into web development these days, as there are so many frameworks and systems available, that half the work is already finished for you before you ever start... a far cry from the hand code it from scratch approaches.

I would recommend looking at what the primary focus of the website will be... discussions, forums, content, etc., and finding a platform that supports that out of the box with the ability for additions. going to noob to creating a website with multiple custom functionality on framework compared to taking an open source software that is plug and play (like a wordpress) will be easier steps for a beginner to get a site up and running quickly.

[eluser]atno[/eluser]
[quote author="cmiwebstudio" date="1305457337"]I agree, but also disagree. The great thing about using a framework, is a lot of classes have already been written for you... you simply need to apply their application. in that sense, you really don't need to know php, you just need to know how to apply the patterns. frankly, i don't see it being any more difficult learning php while using CI2 then it would be to not use CI... in fact, with all the documented examples in the user guide, i'd say it's probably even easier. mvc is not a complicated concept, it was just foreign to developers that didn't follow that pattern for years. frankly, i think it's much easier to get into web development these days, as there are so many frameworks and systems available, that half the work is already finished for you before you ever start... a far cry from the hand code it from scratch approaches.

I would recommend looking at what the primary focus of the website will be... discussions, forums, content, etc., and finding a platform that supports that out of the box with the ability for additions. going to noob to creating a website with multiple custom functionality on framework compared to taking an open source software that is plug and play (like a wordpress) will be easier steps for a beginner to get a site up and running quickly.[/quote]

So dont you think basic php knowlegde is a must before starting with a php framework ?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB