Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Selling a CI Based Site

[eluser]ShoeLace1291[/eluser]
I'm currently building a CodeIgniter site that will hopefully be a high production, high traffic site. While developing the site, a couple of questions came to mind:

If someone was interested in buying my site in the future...
1. Will the fact that a site is made with CodeIgniter be a turn-off to potential buyers?
2. Would it be considered illegal to sell the site since CI is released under the OpenSource licensing?
3. If it is illegal to sell the "whole" site, could I sell the application contents that I create(example: controllers, libraries, models, template files, etc), have the buyer download and install CI, and then have them upload my files?

Just a couple of things that I thought of.. Anyone have any thoughts?

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
As long as you describe that you use CodeIgniter as your framework on your footprint license, its fine. The best way to "pay" it, is being active on its community and contribute some time create useful things ;-)

[eluser]Iván Argulo[/eluser]
[quote author="ShoeLace1291" date="1305633253"]1. Will the fact that a site is made with CodeIgniter be a turn-off to potential buyers?[/quote]

I wouldn't buy a website hardcoded in PHP, it will be ugly, hard to understand and extend, not optimised and not very efficient, with hundred of libraries and classes, not being uniform... and soooo on.

But CI is clean, light, fast... I can understand a CI application in a few minutes and extend it without knowing the whole application. And, what is the best, without compromising security and scalability Smile

[eluser]LinkFox[/eluser]
I would say a well built site based on a framework would be a turn on for buyers if anything. The only thing I would hazard a guess is something like Zend is more industry standard so they may be a bit funny about it.

I've not been in the situation before but anyone buying a PHP site that doesn't know what CodeIgniter is shouldn't be buying a PHP based site and basing their decisions on technologies.

From what I've heard from other developers most buyers just care about if the site is built in PHP or Java or .Net and not the frameworks it's implemented in, and to be honest why should they care, the most important thing is your code is well commented and maintainable, the data you hold about users and your traffic and potential revenues.

[eluser]regal2157[/eluser]
I would say it's a selling point to list it was built with a framework, but at the same time - it could be rendered the other way.

If the person is willing to buy the site, then they understand that they are buying an operating system at the time of purchase. Whatever they want to do afterwords is up to them.

I know a lot of PHP people who stay away from frameworks, but when they need to use one, it's CI. Including one of the 'grandfathers' of PHP. [Can't think of his name right now.. lol R something..]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB