Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
please help me to choose a project to benefit the CI community

[eluser]osci[/eluser]
@4ever and what part of MVC or even HMVC your code stands for?

[eluser]4ever[/eluser]
[quote author="osci" date="1305716972"]@4ever and what part of MVC or even HMVC your code stands for?[/quote]

What controller did you speak about? I guess you talk about that training example that I used in different thread to show how CI works. Don't call it my code. That was just examples to illustrate what I speak about. Not to take the code like the perfect one. Just when it is took from tutorial for beginners...

[eluser]osci[/eluser]
I was referring to your example of "instead using one string" at comment #8 above
And you posted it to demonstrate what is bad and what is good in this topic.
Doesn't that lead visitors that this is good code? If so where should they place it?

You used code from what tutorial. Was your #8 post irrelevant?

[eluser]4ever[/eluser]
[quote author="osci" date="1305718273"]I was referring to your example of "instead using one string" at comment #8 above
And you posted it to demonstrate what is bad and what is good in this topic.
Doesn't that lead visitors that this is good code? If so where should they place it?

You used code from what tutorial. Was your #8 post irrelevant?[/quote]

I don't have reference to that tutorial. I have it in my PC downloaded. I realize that the point "instead using one string" can have some weak point but has also a benefit. Maybe you prefer different method but it's possible more people use more solutions. I ain't met with CI enough to judge whether this approach is good to use with this framework. However that part of my comment that emphases using many times <?PHP ?> in view it looks silly to me but it's on each own preferences... I took the code just to illustrate what I talk about and as I said I took it from somebody else and remade it. For MVC I use slightly different version with doesn't use "all in one string" but uses echo. In fact I am not sure if is possible to do it in CI in the way how I showed above. But I ain't gonna do tutorials, so I guess that the person who is gonna do it knows what is good, what is bad and what is best...

When I said I hate some style of writing. It doesn't mean I hate the tutorials. I am thankful for this job. An even the tut needn't be perfect, every one can rewrite it to his style.

PS: Tut I use is CodeIgniterFromScratchDay 5

[eluser]4ever[/eluser]
OK. Now the things are more clear to me. I've seen next tutorial of Burak called Sessions and I thing this one could be good example of good tutorial. There is better file organization using sub directory
http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/co...y-6-login/
and I think next tutorials are also good. You can click on the video link in that site to see that video.

What I see good on this example:
- the tut is long enough
- the quality is great!
- it takes 200MB space only
- the code is long enough to see things working together

What I see bad in this tutorial:
- it is maybe too much long (56 minutes)
- author wasted time on showing how to css style. I think this is not necessary because the css could be down-loadable. In css are some good things to know like input[type=submit] syntax (new to me)
- author wasted time on showing how to set framework but he showed that in last parts.
- author uses white background, not like in the 1st 2 part, where was black background and that black background was better visible (to me when the background is white, my eyes start getting tired it is too light to me. Watching the long video with light background is not good to my eyes).
- author could shorten the length of video when he would prepare the empty files out of record. Just to describe the video and write it on tut site what files organization he uses and to public the files that we start with. Yeah: and maybe just for clarity write a comment on beginning of every file what it would do and where it will refer to. Then to start video recording.

So I think when you would like to show to us complex solution sure it will cost time. You could to make the video without speaking and to add the voice to it later... But this could be complicated. Could to save time of video I think but more work to creator.

Maybe to cut out the parts where author switches the programs to shorten it. The video above is good example because you can see: if you want to do a complex example it will take about 1/2-1 hour...

Important Note
I noticed one more thing. The author makes some mistakes in the code because the code is not so simple. And that could be the problem. Because then he needs to make repairs and that costs time and could be confusing. Wouldn't then creator of project prepare the project first and print the code? Then to do the tutorial with the help of printed code... Just to prevent mistakes, confusion and repairs

[eluser]haydenh[/eluser]
[quote author="regal2157" date="1305687640"]I think it would be cool to host video tutorials on how to build a specific example. Like your e-commerce one. Many tutorials out there now are short ones teaching you just a basic way of doing something.

I know I am going to be building myself a tutorial soon developing an application from the ground up.

Whatever it be, it will definitely be a part series. Especially the E-Commerce example.[/quote]

I tend to agree with rega12157.

What about creating a video tutorial series on creating an application that is some sort of video application in and of itself. Maybe something similar to http://wordpress.tv/ or http://espn3.com/

[eluser]4ever[/eluser]
What about to create multi functional app for series :-) You would start to show how to do the basic db structure by a script (auto-install mysql structure) in which you would have tables for users... You would do sign up & login form, sessions and thing around. In next part you could do any of the desired sub-app to this, just to extend the original app. I would like to do a community site with articles, forum, users profiles and users gallery in the future, so I'm building a way to learn it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB