Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Regarding CI licence and config files

[eluser]AreN[/eluser]
Hi

I'm working on a project based on CI that might be redistributed. The license is quite clear to me, except on one point. I hope someone can help clarify this for me.

I assume that basically every part of CI counts as "source code" since PHP isn't compiled. I do not obfuscate it either (at this time at least). Therefore condition 2 should not apply, but number 3 would:

"Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice in all source code files."

The term "source code" is a bit vague. Does this include files in the default "application" folder such as config files? Comparing config files to core system files, they do not already contain a copyright notice. Does this mean they are not "part of" CI? It seems a bit odd to me, because someone did write that code and it is distributed with CI. Manually having to add a copyright notice to every such file in every application made seems tedious.

Basically I have avoided this issue on my server by using symlinks and externals in my repository. If I have to make a change to a file, I just made a copy with a copyright notice in it, and link to that instead. So I would not have to worry, except, if I check out my application on a window server - then I lose the symlinks and copies are made instead. Frustrating! Smile (Edit: Actually, Turtoise doesn't copy, but makes some odd files with link in them)

So, back to the question - does files such as config files count as "source files"? And if so, could we please have copyright notices in them by default? Smile

[eluser]AreN[/eluser]
No input on this? Confused

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
As long as you keep the license with the codeigniter folder (the system folder) it should be fine. The application folder is basically just that: a folder to store your application. It's basically boilerplate code, and you can have any number of 'applications' running from the same 'codeigniter/system' folder.

That is how I have always interpreted it. If this is wrong I would like to hear from Ellislabs.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB