Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Will CodeIgniter move to PHP 5.3?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello,

I was wondering if CodeIgniter will move to PHP 5.3 only and if so, when will this take place? Most well-known PHP Frameworks are working on a new major version which supports PHP 5.3 only (using namespaces etc.). Are there any plans for CodeIgniter to do the same? I was hoping version 2 would have this already, but unfortunately it doesn't. Hope someone can answer this question for me.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I don't think you should expect this soon, as it would mean a complete redesign of CI's architecture, basically turning it into a new framework.

/my 2ct...

[eluser]moazzemeee05[/eluser]
[quote author="lineke" date="1306499221"]Hello,

I was wondering if CodeIgniter will move to PHP 5.3 only and if so, when will this take place? Most well-known PHP Frameworks are working on a new major version which supports PHP 5.3 only (using namespaces etc.). Are there any plans for CodeIgniter to do the same? I was hoping version 2 would have this already, but unfortunately it doesn't. Hope someone can answer this question for me.[/quote]

yes it is possible...

http://imgraphicdesigner.com/

[eluser]KarlBallard[/eluser]
I doubt this will happen for a while as CodeIgniter only started to update the code to PHP5 and drop PHP4 just after thew new year.

[eluser]William Reveal[/eluser]
I have mixed feelings about this myself. I like the concept of namespaces which I had begun to implement in my own framework (until I found CodeIgniter which "thinks" the same way I do). I initially hated the way PHP implements namespaces but sort of got used to it. However, I have seen where frameworks that switch to it end up going through serious hoops and weird layouts to implement the PHP way of doing it.

I started to use for a project a different framework per client requirements. However, I convinced them to abandon it because of the completely alien ways you had to do things just to accommodate the framework's way of handling namespaces including the inability to extend any of their classes easily because all custom code (my code) had to be in a different namespace that couldn't touch theirs. I am now rewriting that project in CI. Don't miss the complexity that was forced upon me due to their namespace implementation. Client likes the speed I am now developing in.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Namespaces are an absolute prerequisite if you want proper module support. If not you'll end with a cascading file system and ridiculous class names in order to avoid name collisions.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Wont happen until all hosting providers move to PHP 5.3

InsiteFX

[eluser]osci[/eluser]
Quote:Namespaces are an absolute prerequisite if you want proper module support. If not you’ll end with a cascading file system and ridiculous class names in order to avoid name collisions.
So true, I'm experiencing this issue from the start!

Quote:Won't happen until all hosting providers move to PHP 5.3
... or until most of them. That's true too.
My provider has 5.2 on my server and since I'm still in VPS I won't get such an update easily on demand.
Of course I'm planning of having dedicated server for my sites and customers but since budget is still low here and my provider is cheap and also good in both availability and support, upgrading is not an option.

One could argue that things move on, but such a move might cut off a big part of the community.
Another could argue that there could be another branch for making it php5.3+ with namespaces but that means another team, more coordination...

I believe it is a big big subject

btw
Quote:yes it is possible…
spam is getting clever don't you think????
Nice 1st member answer

[eluser]William Reveal[/eluser]
I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of providers start switching to php5.3 now that the php6 issue has been put to bed. I talked with one provider on behalf of a client and they said that was the only reason they hadn't upgraded to 5.3... they kept expecting php6 to be released. Now that it isn't, they will be offering clients the ability to use 5.3.

I have been using 5.3 for what feels like forever so I get frustrated when I have to deal with one client site that is till on 5.2 because they have to run ZendOptimizer for a Joomla module. Ironically, they are in a real pickle now because another module they want to upgrade requires 5.3 (they have the option to run 5.3 since it is on their own RackSpace Cloud server and are running other sites in php 5.3).

Ironically, we talk about 5.2 vs 5.3 and some of CodeIgniter's classes are still using php4 syntax. I have some time right now between projects and was going to see what would happen if I re-factored it for PHP 5.3 (sans namespaces). Might be fun.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for all the replies! For now, we'll just upgrade to CogeIgniter version 2. We might choose another framework if CodeIgniter will stay this way too long.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB