Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter for Rapid PHP Application Development (Paperback)

[eluser]moonbeetle[/eluser]
Just wondering. Anyone read the book? Is it any good?

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="joris" date="1195094409"]Just wondering. Anyone read the book? Is it any good?[/quote]

I bought it some weeks ago and have read most of it. Overall, I'd say 6/10. It's good, but not amazing -- much of what is covered is already available in the user guide. The most useful things for me were insight into the CI super object, which helped when writing one's own libraries, as well as the concrete code examples (esp. Active Record). I enjoyed it and it's a terrific primer for beginners, but I'm still hungry for more!

[eluser]Sion[/eluser]
Does anyone interested in contributing to (a better) CI Hack book project? The book focus and tackles problems and solutions that aren't dealt with elsewhere. The reader will pick up insider tips from the experts(You), and learn about amazing and sometimes quirky aspects of CI.

If you are interested let me know so I can get start on making a deal with the publisher: O'Reilly Media Inc.

JP

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
On my blog I wrote Review: Codeigniter for Rapid PHP Application Development. I hope its helpful.

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
I read it... it was a very quick read, with simple prose. In most regards it's way too simplistic. There was one paragraph in the book that said something like 'but there's not enough room to cover that subject here...' Uh... what? Sure there is. The book is about 250 pages long with big type. There was PLENTY of room to cover the particular subject. The author also says not to really worry about MVC conventions... don't worry about doing it the right way, just the way that's comfortable. That's all well and good, but at least covering some of the finer points of MVC would be great rather than just telling us to wing it would have been great.

It's pretty disappointing really. A nice primer, but not *better* than the user guide, just more portable. I'd say 4/10 overall, but at least it doesn't take long to read and it's easy to digest. Thusfar I haven't learned anything new than what I learned by reading the manual, but I'm only 2/3 of the way through the book. I'm still interested in finishing it, but if the rest follows suit, it's not going to be anything to write home about.

[eluser]moonbeetle[/eluser]
Thanks for the feedback, saved me money. I was looking for a book with more advanced information like best practices for Code Igniter projects, multilingual approaches (using mod-rewritten URI segment), routing, less tedious CRUD development and clever ways to make classes working together (e.g. building dynamic galleries, creating a simple CMS for articles including image upload).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB