Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to find out member variables and functions of CI_Model and CI_Controller.

[eluser]Crusoe[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply. However, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I have already seen the user guide . I was looking for some answer that could tell me something which I did not already know.

[eluser]Crusoe[/eluser]
Basically, I am not a noob seeking to create a web page. I was looking at some PHP frameworks out of academic interest and was a bit confused by the techniques used in the very first framework I looked at. I was seeking a rationale for the "unusal" techniques used in creating this framework. It could be some new design pattern which is some cool new technique. If so, I would like to learn more about it.

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="Crusoe" date="1309943293"]Basically, I am not a noob seeking to create a web page. I was looking at some PHP frameworks out of academic interest and was a bit confused by the techniques used in the very first framework I looked at. I was seeking a rationale for the "unusal" techniques used in creating this framework. It could be some new design pattern which is some cool new technique. If so, I would like to learn more about it.[/quote]

[quote author="Crusoe" date="1309869796"]Is there any way of finding what are the members and methods of the base classes in CI ? [/quote]
You were answered.

[quote author="Crusoe" date="1309880418"]Where exactly in the user guide is the db->query method mentioned ? The user guide is the first place I looked. I could not find it.[/quote]
You were answered.

[quote author="Crusoe" date="1309905086"]Yes, I was trying to make auto-complete work with codeigniter. I got it working to the extent that if I type $this-> I get a list of member variables now. Next step is make the methods of these member variables visible.[/quote]
You were answered.

You certainly have not made it clear what you're trying to figure out. Wondering why there isn't code completion built in for all major IDEs I guess? Don't know. Wasn't a concern of mine because they invested so much time and effort into the extremely thorough USER GUIDE. Smile

[eluser]Crusoe[/eluser]
[quote author="Mirge" date="1309944853"] You certainly have not made it clear what you're trying to figure out. Wondering why there isn't code completion built in for all major IDEs I guess? Don't know. Wasn't a concern of mine because they invested so much time and effort into the extremely thorough USER GUIDE. Smile [/quote]

Thanks for your answer.

I was just asking a series of small questions to lead upto a bigger question. Which is : "What is the rationale behind the unusual techniques used in creating this framework ?"

Actually, I am not trying to use Codeigniter to create a website or any such thing. So, this has nothing to do with auto completion in the IDE or trying to make sense of the user guide.

I am gathering material for someone who is writing a comparison of PHP frameworks. I was intrigued by the code I saw used in the framework and asked this question out of academic interest.

The only question I am asking is "What is the rationale behind the unusual techniques used in creating this framework ?"

If you can shed some light on this, please do.

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
you are looking for something like this, I think:

http://www.tig12.net/downloads/apidocs/c...rview.html

I don't know if this exists for v2.x

[eluser]mindph[/eluser]
If I remember correctly, var_dump($this); should give you a printout of the current object with it's setup and var_dump(debug_backtrace()); accordingly gives you an output of the backtrace. I used this for debugging sometime, however it's a quick and dirty apporach.

[eluser]Crusoe[/eluser]
Forget it guys. Thanks very much for trying to help Smile

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
You might have better luck if you are more clear about what

Quote:“What is the rationale behind the unusual techniques used in creating this framework ?”

means.

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
@noctrum,

I believe someone which has enough php knowledge will lil bit confuse and feel awkward at his first time CI use. Just to mention some of "unusual" stuff :
1. Query string enable : and you get these uri like : http://foo.com/?c=this&m=is&p=lilbitweird.
2. In earlier version before Reactor came out, you can't access GET parameter easily.
3. Cookie based session.
4. There are none of static function. In CI someone will never ever get "Paamayim Nekudotayim" error in his carrer.
Theres still several more stuff there to mention, but after all it just about to adjust ourselft to some framework style, a CI way. Compared to the benefits, i think thats not a really big deals.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB