Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CI suitable for me too ?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi
I have a little information about php , and reading different php learning resources make me bored .
Could CI help me to make my favorite web application easily and in a instructor mode ?
Are this website movies and Wiki suitable for me to start my first simple application ?
Also I like work with mysql and mssql . I know something about mysql usage in php , but I don`t know anything about working mssql with php .
Could I find my requirements about php with mssql in this website ?
Which one is better for me : CodeIgniter or P4A ???
I really like start some projects with PHP . but really I`m confused with learning php .
I`m looking for easiest solution ! please guide me Smile

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
After having spent years slogging it out with PHP, I really can't believe it took me this long to try out Code Igniter (or other PHP frameworks for that matter.) As far as I'm concerned, PHP has too many redundant, useless commands that make doing something straightforward (like Pagination) take forever. You still need to know some PHP, but code igniter makes it much easier & faster to write really GOOD PHP based programs. Using standard PHP in the past took about as long as building with Code Igniter, but my programs now are much, much better, and I spend more time making them cool, rather than just making them work.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
CodeIgniter will make you a better PHP programmer, you will learn faster, and you will have portability (switching between MySQL and MSSQL is virtually just a config file change).

[eluser]ELRafael[/eluser]
Hey Michael. Not too much. I'm using right now CI + MSSQL and I have some problems.

OK, my MS SQL-Server is 2000 version. But somethings (pagination, active records) don't work as in MySQL.

But I recommend CI for all users in PHP World. You'll become a better programmer, will have some better concepts about OOP, MVC, Design Patterns and others

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
So good ,
So it`s good for beginners like me , because I want to get concepts faster than usual learning through some books and develope my applications in a short time and in a reliable manner .
Hey ELRafael , is solving problems such as your problems with MSSQL difficult in this framework ?

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Yeah - switchign from MySQL to MSSQL is always difficult, don't get me wrong. But it is much easier to migrate between the two if you use CI and the Active Record class than just plain old PHP.

My first experience with MSSQL was when I wrote a pure PHP message board on a Windows XP/Apache/MySQL machine and deployed to a Windows NT/IIS/MSSQL machine. Took me a good day of learning MSSQL to get all the queries converted - stupid changing of escape characters.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
ELRafael and any MSSQL user. I don't run that database (yikes!) and so I'd welcome any insight you have into making activerecord and pagination more friendly.

[eluser]ELRafael[/eluser]
Ok Derek. Here we won't buy the 2005 version (not every place is perfect, hum?)

About pagination, i give up. Not because CI. But the stupid and &%$(#*@ MSSQL 2000. it's only impossible to make something like LIMIT 0, 10 (in MySQL).

That TOP command only works for the firsts regs and PK fields. If i wanna to order by a varchar field, the "pagination" break down.

The Active Record i resolved by myself. Then you can see how CI is good. Very flexible. Different than others frameworks (DotNet is one of them).

My problems is about type of var. And some timestamps. But now is resolved (The system is almost done. Tomorrow go to test departament and next week to some selected users).

More improvements i'll tell.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB