Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A somewhat philosophical question

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi there, I'm new here, nice to meet you all.

I have a question for you, probably a bit different that most that are posted here, but to understand the seriousness, I need to give you some background. This might be common on these forums but I doubt anyone has ever expressed exactly how much they need the insight.

A long time ago I started studying PHP5. Back in the days OOPHP was a dream for every client. Then came MVC.
I never really got good. I stuck with modifying small pieces of code, integrating templates, working with most CMSes back then. I seemed pretty good with anything, but that wasn't quite so.

I've never been good with that stuff, but I had lots of experience. I switched many IT-related jobs - I've done some lightweight coding, some sysadmin work, some front-end development, lots of SEO. I was great with the little I did and I did lots of it.

All the experience gave me a very analytical approach to everything and my life headed to another direction - I became a project manager and a team leader for a web company. I had heavy technical knowledge compared to other project managers, I knew what was achievable, how fast, everything. I handled the team great, we never missed a deadline, I made them work and enjoy it.

However, the recession came, the sales department didn't cope with it, and the company closed down.

I have always wanted to create instead of just writing docs and talking to people so I decided I wanted to code again but this time maybe take some more responsibility.
Basically I am a PHP beginner, although I do read code nicely and I know the syntax of everything. I cannot write a set of small scripts and turn it into a web app and I don't want to learn how to do it by writing everything from a scratch.

So I did a research on frameworks and everywhere it was written that CI has this awesome documentation. I started wondering if I could learn to build web apps with it by using the little PHP knowledge I have?
What would you advise me to do? What do I need to know to begin with CI or should I move to something else like Ruby on Rails where I'm just a plain newbie without any knowledge and avoid the messy learning curve to which I'm willing to commit here?

I would be very grateful to any friendly response.
Best of luck to everyone!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB