Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Wishlist for CMS in CI.

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
I have finalized certain modules and would like to know your suggestions on this.

Matchbox 0.9.1 - Modular Seperation
Erkana Auth Lib - Authentication

We have discussed through and thought that the template engine would not be a compulsion instead should work as a module. A suggestions on this would surely help. I personally felt of implementing an external template engine but got a good suggestion from walesmd about including a simple theme engine instead of a full fledged templete engine system with all its overheads.

I am currently looking for a good caching system, a better way to combine modular configs and and good set of filesystem functions. Does anyone know if we can refer the code of Expression Engine Core. There are some very good practices that the guys at EllisLab follows.

P.S - The system would be developed only for PHP 5.x so I would like to know if anyone has anything to say about it.

Good Day !!!

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="Sarfaraz Momin" date="1196368577"]We have discussed through and thought that the template engine would not be a compulsion instead should work as a module. A suggestions on this would surely help. I personally felt of implementing an external template engine but got a good suggestion from walesmd about including a simple theme engine instead of a full fledged templete engine system with all its overheads.[/quote]

I'm thinking that's more desirable, as you state. A competent designer/developer can drop his tags in and format the style himself; I'd vote that a full-fledged templating system is a better choice for down the road. Better to start small, nail the core competencies, then move on a la 37 Signals-style.

Quote:I am currently looking for a good caching system, a better way to combine modular configs and and good set of filesystem functions. Does anyone know if we can refer the code of Expression Engine Core. There are some very good practices that the guys at EllisLab follows.

That's a tough call. EE Core is proprietary software, so we can't rip it off. That being said, good design patterns are not something you can trademark; derivative works inspired by another are safe under Fair Use.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Yeah, please try not to take code from EE (if in doubt, a good rule in OS development is not even to look), but we're happy to help out, and I wanted you to know that we've posted our development guidelines. It includes style, security, standards, etc.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
To cover all the bases and make certain that nobody's toes are stepped on, I'd recommend referring only to the dev guidelines that Derek linked to, since it's the approach and pattern that's most useful. Better to avoid the temptation...

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
P.S - The system would be developed only for PHP 5.x so I would like to know if anyone has anything to say about it.

I believe that CI's strength lays in the fact that it supports PHP 4. I think most of us chose this framework when solid frameworks for php5 have emerged. I for one, definietly chose CI for its support for php 4, which I'll have to deal with ifor the next two years.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
[quote author="Thoer" date="1196390969"]P.S - The system would be developed only for PHP 5.x so I would like to know if anyone has anything to say about it.

I believe that CI's strength lays in the fact that it supports PHP 4. I think most of us chose this framework when solid frameworks for php5 have emerged. I for one, definietly chose CI for its support for php 4, which I'll have to deal with ifor the next two years.[/quote]
Anyone know of a framework that supports php 3? Come on, php 4 is officially dead in a month. Take some time to mourn the passing, but eventually we have to face reality.

[eluser]zdknudsen[/eluser]
Now this is interesting :-)

First of all I'd like to say that I am very that you are going to use Matchbox. If you have ANY suggestions (also suggestions not related to this CMS project) please feel free to post them in the Matchbox forum topic.

Matchbox still lacks community developed modules that are ready to be downloaded. So it is going to gain a lot from this.

Note to self: I'd better get some better guidelines up...

Quote:I believe that CI’s strength lays in the fact that it supports PHP 4. I think most of us chose this framework when solid frameworks for php5 have emerged. I for one, definietly chose CI for its support for php 4, which I’ll have to deal with ifor the next two years.

I think Thoer has a valid point here. Not to argue but to put it in good spirits I would like to mention that my decision to go only for PHP 5 was because of its strong OOPs capabilities. This does not mean we would completely ignore PHP 4 (I have it working on 4 sites of 19). I am trying to put it this way rather that we strongly recommend people using the CMS in PHP 5 but if you still are in stone age we will try and make it backward compatible. Since this is all based on contributions I am not going to work on any sort of backward compatibility until some satisfactory work in completed.

Quote:Yeah, please try not to take code from EE (if in doubt, a good rule in OS development is not even to look), but we’re happy to help out, and I wanted you to know that we’ve posted our development guidelines. It includes style, security, standards, etc.

Thanks David for the development guidelines. I was not going to take any code from EE rather just refer it if I am stuck somewhere. But it just slipped out of my mind that I have 48439 people available in this community to help. I would study the guidelines and would try and follow them as much as possible.

Quote:First of all I’d like to say that I am very that you are going to use Matchbox. If you have ANY suggestions (also suggestions not related to this CMS project) please feel free to post them in the Matchbox forum topic.

Matchbox still lacks community developed modules that are ready to be downloaded. So it is going to gain a lot from this.

Hey Zacharias Knudsen, The Matchbox library is real cool to be ignored. It would just be great if you can try and come up with module management interface or idea.

Any further suggestions are most welcomed.

Good Day !!!

[eluser]zdknudsen[/eluser]
I am working on a module manager actually. And this is the exact kind of thing is going to help me get it just right. I'll let you know as soon I have something working and then we can work from there.

Great Zacharias,
Let me know once you have something to show up.

Well I am also looking for a suggestion from you guys regarding use of ORM or the inbuilt Active Record lib. The Active Record Lib has proved a little buggy and so I doubt its usage. I would rather go with plain SQL queries if required. If you guys have a better ORM solution please let me know.

Good Day !!!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB