Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Wishlist for CMS in CI.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
[quote author="Rick Jolly" date="1196392041"]
Anyone know of a framework that supports php 3? Come on, php 4 is officially dead in a month. Take some time to mourn the passing, but eventually we have to face reality.[/quote]
Well, I live in Hungary. Most of our shared hosting companies still use php4 as default and about half of them don't even offer php5. Clients won't change host for that kind of things. I don't expect the situation to get any better soon.

Hey, last week I just read a thread on a local forum in which the guy was asking if anyone knew a CMS which works on php 4.1.2 'cause his client had to have it running in 2 days! Now, that's extreme, but 4.3.4+ will be alive for a while.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
Re: PHP5 -- Honestly, I'd just as soon drop v4 altogether. I mean, Zend is nearly ready to release v6, for Pete's sake. It's similar to how, back in 2000-01, designers stopped catering to lousy browsers and said, "If you want to see this page rendered properly, you need to get a decent browser." And it worked, even if there was a little friction during the transition. If people really want to run a CMS like this, and they can't because their host doesn't have PHP5 installed (really? or there that many still left?), they'll clamor for it, which will drive adoption...

Re: dev guidelines -- there's plenty of folks here who'd pitch in, I'm sure.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
I guess these kind of things are a bit easier in North Carolina. Wink

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
As far as the php4 compatibility discussion goes maybe the cms code should be separated but there must be no difference in methods. This means no php4 hacks in the php5 code and if php6 is released you could start testing for that version too. The way versions are released nowadays you should have different files for php5 versions as well (for instance 5.2 allows hooks for getting the uploaded filesize, 5.3 has namespaces). It would increase the filesize of the cms a lot but you could offer custom builds (php5 only - which would be the default judging by the comments, php4 only and php4 + php5)

I'm wondering if it's possible the cms modules could be used independent or not. I mean will they be coupled with the cms or can they function without the 'master' cms code too. Using matchbox suggests the latter.

Who is going to decide which modules are going to be implemented? Would it be a poll that decides the default module or is the master cms code going to be developed to allow a range of same functionality modules?

How are things getting organized?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Yet another question: how are the changes in CI going to be dealed with? Will there be maintenance for lower version CIs?

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
Separating php4 and php5 (and php6) parts sounds good. As long as there's backwards compatibility between CI we don't need to care about lower versions. We can't upgrade php every time we want to, but upgrading codeigniter is really just uploading a bunch of files. (And I hope it'll stay this way.)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Seperating the module code means coding the methods 2 or 3 times according to the php version. All the module maintainers have to want to do this for it to come to consistent cms code.

Updating CI is not only uploading a bunch of files and i think there are some changes in the cooker that will break current CI code if you read the behind the screens post of Derek Allard.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
Now that is bad news, is CI about to support only php5 soon? If not, I would still think module maintainers don't HAVE TO create 2 or 3 versions, although they would be definietly welcome to do so. A CMS built on CI will never get to be the next Joomla or Drupal. We have people with good programming skills here. Give me a php5 module and I'll turn it to work on php4 if I really need it. Am I wrong?

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Quote:A CMS built on CI will never get to be the next Joomla or Drupal. We have people with good programming skills here. Give me a php5 module and I’ll turn it to work on php4 if I really need it. Am I wrong?
Yes you are absolutely correct here. I think it does not make sense to work on backward compatibility since that does not make things better. I am also sure we might not be able to make the next Joomla or Drupal in the very first release but the whole project burns down to one thing and that is to make a CMS which people can use on top of CI and hence make CI more penetrable. I see that people have started working on similar projects from other CMS but I do not know the progress nor has it been posted anywhere. I have created an official blog for the CMS today. It is at ignitedCMS. You can visit there and start posting. This would be a team effort from all of us and so I would also like to ask if any of you have some project management stuff online which we can use to track the progress of this project. There is also an SVN setup. The access to SVN would be provided to all contributors for specific modules to commit. All users would be allowed to checkout.

Good Day !!!

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Thoer you are right you can write php4 code for a php5 module but i think as long as CI supports php4 the cms should support it too, if you like it or not. I still have to develop and maintain a bunch of php4 sites and it's not always profitable to update them to php5. It's more a economical problem then a technical.

But as the cms is a community project module maintainers don't need to be lone wolves. Someone can take the php4 code and another the php5. This would also improve the support for the individual modules per php version.
I would like to write some of the php4 code for a few modules.

@Sarfaraz : Great idea to have a blog for the cms. How do we connect to the SVN or isn't it publicly accessible yet?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB