Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 2.x.x Roadmap ???

[eluser]OliverHR[/eluser]
Are there any public planning where the community can participate something like a roadmap.

Because it's good that we write code modifications to CI that will need to projects and commit to a VCS(before on bitbucket, now on Github), but for a more solid progress I think there should be a path to follow.

I would like to see a roadmap based on feedback from Ellislab developers and other codeigniter community members.

Something like other open source projects.

[eluser]bottleboot[/eluser]
Any update on this?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
What update were we waiting for?

Today I was looking at the CI GitHub repository, discovered the milestones, searched on Google and this Forum and found this thread.

I was wondering if those are still in use (the milestones), or if there is to much other work to be bothered with it?

Since you said:

[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1314485684"]"...The GitHub milestones are a little empty right now, but thats because we're still working out what goes where."[/quote]

As a CI supporter and user I'm very curious in were Ci is going. Smile
I'm working on a lot of app's in CI so I naturally wonder what how and when the next release will be.
My interest peeked more when I landed on a nightly build for CI3 docs through Stack Overflow.

Currently there is not much of a roadmap other than the basics, which are easy to outline:

Should come out soon with some 2.1.0 bugs fixed.

Sparks
Unit Testing
OSL (different license, but the same usage)
Possibly some autoloading

A lot of those things are still unplanned as to how exactly they will happen as all the team members (in EllisLab and us Reactor Engineers) have been busy. For me I spend an hour a day just peer reviewing code, so rarely get any time left to actually work on that todo list.

The fact is that the community is driving progress at the moment, and they are doing so by fixing bugs or improving existing code. If you just look at the activity on GitHub you'll see 2 or 3 pull requests merged every day and there are still 164 active requests.

If the community would help peer review existing pull requests it would open up time for us to work on new features. There are a few active people on GitHub, but there could certainly be more! Smile

I understand.
Thanks for your reply and all the work!

Yes 165 as of today actually Big Grin.
I wish I could be of any help in peer reviewing, but I don't think I am of much use for this project as of now in that department. Even the smaller commits It's hard to get a sense of where the piece fits in the whole project and if it's well written for CI.

I'll just keep it to trying to help people with q's on Stack Oveflow as for now Big Grin

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
That's a bit odd Phil, reading your statements gave me the feeling like you really never ever heard or seen what the rest of the industry calls a roadmap.
But thanks to drop one here Smile I still think that roadmaps for an OS project are a good way to keep people interested over a long period and plan their moves as well in regard of it.

EllisLab has never ever had a roadmap for CodeIgniter. Ever. They are specifically against them but it creates false expectations of what is going to happen, imposes deadlines which are unfair, arbitrary and not always possible to stick to. That's not my opinion, that is theirs.

I have no problems with that.

We do however have issues that get marked as accepted, or some notes of things we want to do that get marked to certain milestones.

What am I going to do in the next month? PR mainly. Reviewing peoples code and checking out whats up. Maybe I'll work on some autoloading if I have the time. Who knows.

What are you going to do for CodeIgniter this month?

[eluser]OliverHR[/eluser]
A while ago I was not around here.

I think that a roadmap is not always to force to set deadlines, but to know what the future holds for the project, then community knows where to focus their efforts.

I share a little bit Patlecat's idea that sometimes EllisLab and some of EllisLab collaborators are not open minded to others ideas for codeignter and express their rejection of these ideas in a categorical and not so diplomatic way.

But, I liked your last sentence: What are you going to do for CodeIgniter this month?

It's a good start for all of us.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB