Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter forums - page timeouts

[eluser]syntax error[/eluser]
I have been experiencing issues with random page timeouts on the codeigniter forums. I was wondering if anyone else had been experience similar issues? The page will try to load, and then just stop loading. It appears no data is sent to the browser, and i'm left with a completely blank page. I was wondering if the codeigniter developers were aware of this? Offhand, do you think this is an apache memory issue?

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Hi Richard. Thanks for reporting this. Let me see if I can help out here. What browser and os are you using? Any firewalls or proxies? Has it always been a problem for you, or just recently.

Hey There Derek

Browser is FireFox 2.0.0.10
Win XP SP 2
Got a Wide Area ISP Proxy, live in South Africa.
Norton Firewall

Thing is, it's completely random, don't think it's an issue on my side, but have experienced it since I registered on this forum. (Couldn't actually register because of my ISP proxy, but a staff member kindly did the honours for me.)

I suggest Apache Memory as I have experienced such issues in the past with a web site i developed, and the solution was to increase the max allowed memory..

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Hm. We have nearly 50,000 active users on these forums, and I've only ever heard of this happening for visitors from South Africa, and one other area (it escapes me right now) due to a country wide firewall.

I'll keep looking into this for you Richard.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Never had an issue before.

Good for your walesmd.

Thank you Derek.

[eluser]ELRafael[/eluser]
OH! You could tell that is a South problem, cause Derek and Michael are in North countries.

Well, here in South America, that problem appears sometimes... But is not a big problem to me. I can't tell when or why. But if someday appears again, i note the day and the time, ok!

I have a similiar machine configuration, but I don't use Norton Firewall, i have another.

Ah! I my work machine is ok. That problem just in my home.

It's my understanding that it's rare for ISP's to route traffic through proxy servers, although this issue has arrisen up north, namely the dreaded AOL.
Most developers are clueless (including yours truely) as to a workaround without decreasing security measures.
The proxy server will change your IP address, so you can understand the troubles this causes. The only software I have come across that deals with this issue without decreasing security levels is vBulletin, but I haven't the foggiest how they managed it. Blasted proxies. Most software simply will not manage user sessions with a dynamic IP, and that is perfectly understandible.
Saying all of this, i'm still uncertain whether my ISP proxy is the cause of the timeouts, or perhaps it's got something to do with the proxy server's cached results? This is an area where I don't really know what i'm talking about, although it interests me greatly, i'll stop right there! Wink

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Edited.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB