Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI and web design

[eluser]marlar[/eluser]
Hi,

Having chosen CI for my next project, I have a bunch of questions.

Here is one of them:

What is the best approach for working with a web designer?

I am a good coder but a bad designer, so I need to involve one or more designers. How do you guys work together with designers? I mean, how do you implement their design in CI?

Martin

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Totally depends on how you want it to be. By saying so what I mean is if I am a programmer what I do is set a set of keywords for the designer to put in the design which will help me identify the areas of specific content. This will keep myself and the designer on the same platform and I can implement the design with CI or any other system quite easily. So it is just not CI specific but a very general topic for discussion.
Hope it makes sense to you. Please let me know if you have any doubts on this.

Good Day !!!

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Much depends on the skills of the designer. If the designer only gives you graphics you can do whatever you want in your view files. If a designer also does the css you have to say which view file fits in where, as a precaution you can comment the php code in the views and you have to agree on how the pages are structured.

[eluser]ejangi[/eluser]
My title at work is "User Interface Developer", so I often do the implementation of a design in an application (CSS, JavaScript, HTML, etc) and all I can say is expect them to want to change EVERY piece of HTML! Good designers will put together a photoshop file that requires a lot of view modification to make work, so be sure to keep all the HTML in the views and make it easily for them to add new resources (CSS and Javascript files).

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I stil have not worked out the best way for this to be done. I can never tell if its best for the coders to go around chucking out crappy placeholder view files like I normally do, then have the designer tidy them up and make the final versions... OR to get the UI pre-made then have the coder just chuck in the PHP tags.

Opinions?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
In the years i code i worked with different types of designers. Like i mentioned earlier their are ones that only deliver the graphics and a mockup so you have to slice and dice everything yourself. And there are designers that are hybrid designers/coders where you just say look this is the file structure, most of the time i based it on the position in the page, I coded a rudimentary view and they did the rest.
With the designers that are in between you have to work with them to know which kind of strategy is the best.

I think as a coder you can work either way because you control the base. You have to decide for yourself what work you want to do and keep in mind that maybe someday someone else will take over.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB