Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[Proposal] Bug-fixing day

[eluser]ralf57[/eluser]
Rumours and activities in the forums make me feel that the next (1.5.5) version will be released in the next few days.
Despite of the fact that it won't be a major release new features have been added and are already available in the SVN.
But hey, what about the dozens of bugs still populating the tracker?
Do we need them to grow more and more?
Here comes my proposal: a day entirely dedicated to squish the bugs and empty the tracker so that CI will have a rock-solid-clean codebase to grow on.
Please report your opinion and date preference.

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
I must admit it would be nice to know what happens to some of the new bugs that have been left open for a while (say over a month or two) either because code is being redesigned in the next release or whether they have been left on the side line for a while and intend to get fixed later because they are low priority.

I must say CI is a very stable platform and has been great to develop on and thanks for the work that has been put in. I can offer some help between my day job if wanted.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
ralf, yes, we're working on another release. It is probably more then a few days away, but we're actively working on it. It will be more then a bug-fix release, although there is certainly enough of that going on. I/we would fully support a bug fixing day. That said, if the end goal is to get bugs squashed, then there are a few major things you can do to get it patched faster.

I'd recommend you pick a bug and start a new forum thread for it. Call the thread "bug XXX - full title". In the opening post give a quick summary, a link to the bug report, and a proposed patch. What must happen next is that the patch gets tested on PHP 4 and 5. It must work on all "common" installations of PHP, so it can't rely on PEAR libraries or non-standard functions.

Then the patch should be tested by several (5 or 6) active community members. Members should also feel free to suggest improvements for code elegance, speed, etc.

If it goes through this process, then it saves me and the team considerable time, and it is easier for us to patch.

Bug fixes that modify major parts of CI, lack backwards compatibility, or that change an fundamental behaviour of CI will take longer to get through (but are not impossible).

The problem with many bug reports is that someone writes "$feature doesn't work". Then someone else follows up with "doesn't work for me either... bump. Hello, is anyone listening?". These aren't very helpful to me. Wink

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
would it be a good idea if someone was looking at a bug to post a comment in BugTracker itself to save duplicate effort?

[eluser]champs[/eluser]
Welcome to CodeIgniter! You must be new here, please introduce yourself.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB