Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
membership/auth question: use ExpressionEngine and CI together?

[eluser]Adrienne L. Travis[/eluser]
I have an interesting project going on, where part is built in EE and part in CI. I'm wondering if there's a way i can hook into the EE membership/login/auth system via CI? It would make my users' lives a LOT easier.

[eluser]Neovive[/eluser]
I'm researching a similar project and would be interested in any suggestions as well. Perhaps, if there was an easy way to access the EE user session data from CI.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Today those are separate and lack integration, but you could always use CI to grab data out of the EE tables.

Yeah, not really good enough. Still requires me to basically write a brand-new auth library that will work with the CI component.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="alienne" date="1197670049"]I have an interesting project going on, where part is built in EE and part in CI. I'm wondering if there's a way i can hook into the EE membership/login/auth system via CI? It would make my users' lives a LOT easier.[/quote]

What are you trying to do, specifically? They are separate systems but there still may be a way to get them to play nice...

I want my users to be able to use the EE membership system to create and manage their logins and profiles, and then have the CI project be able to (a) log them in, (b) pull their profile information (first name, last name, email address), and © pull the name of their Member Group (it doesn't need to pull any more complex permission info than that, JUST the name of the Group.)

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
If you are looking for a quick membership system you might want to take a look at Amember. I have not tried to integrate the two but it should not be much work.

Otherwise, EE is capable of doing anything you can do in CI. Why not just stick with EE?

Because, for all that i love EE and use it *constantly* for projects, it's just not well-suited to this particular application. I'd have to implement SAEFs with some *really* hairy mutual constraints, among other things.

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
So why not just build a module in EE? Keep in mind many of the CI libraries came right out of EE. If this forum can be built with EE then you can build just about anything.

The answer to that is, "because i'm probably not that good." *wry grin* I'm managing to build this in CI, but I can't even sort out how i'd START making it an EE module.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB