Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Just started learning PHP -- is CodeIgniter right for me?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi,

I am new to programming. I went through a tutorial to build a small CRUD CMS recently using procedural PHP.

It was my first project, so I can't say I really digested all the concepts 100%. I still struggle a bit with loops, arrays, and keeping things organized (which probably just takes experience).

I'm now trying my hand at OOP, but as someone new to programming, I do find it challanging -- espectially setting up all the classes. I struggle with knowing what methods I should be building. I've been watching a tutorial and the instructor moves pretty quickly. It's clear he knows where he's heading and why all the methods he's building are needed/desired, but without having his experience, I'm often clueless about where he's going and sometimes even what he's talking about.

I'm wondering if CodeIgniter would be an easier path to learn programming, or should I keep going from the bottom moving up (going through the pains I'm struggling with now)?

Thanks,
Nathan

[eluser]desertprincess[/eluser]

[eluser]julkifol[/eluser]
Hi Nathan,

I guess you are following the tutorial from lynda.com (as you said about crud cms and they has a similar tutorial on it). No matter, from you are following, I don't think your problem is too much hard. It seems difficult to you cause you didn't design the project (i.e. crud cms), it designed by someone else. When you design your own project using the knowledge of software engineering, then it will be easy.

Anyway, CodeIgniter is not a easier path to learn programming at all, it is a easier path to manage your project and it helps you to keep your code clean by following MVC framework. Again, CodeIgniter manages a lot of security issue by itself. But, I can assure you, developing php project using CodeIgniter isn't tough. you can watch the video tutorials of this page, hope you will get a good knowledge of this framework.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB