Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Does CI unset variables in $GLOBALS ?

[eluser]shanebonham[/eluser]
I'm sort of new to this, so my understanding may be flawed, but outside of CI, this seems to work:

Code:
$foo='bar';
echo $GLOBALS['foo'];

'bar' will be echoed. However, if I put the above in a CI controller's method, it doesn't work (I get an 'undefined index' notice). I know CI unsets some stuff, and I thought that was all handled by _sanitize_globals() in the Input class, but from what I can tell, it leaves $GLOBALS alone. I also see this in the docs: "Destroys all global variables in the event register_globals is turned on." Where does this happen?

It's worth pointing out that what I was originally trying to do was assign $foo outside of a function, and then use it inside the function after setting `global $foo;` (which didn't work).

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
$GLOBALS is truned off by default in your php.ini file for security reasons!

They do not use it anymore...

Do you have a source for $GLOBALS being deprecated?

I get output from print_r($GLOBALS). I just don't get any of my variables.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
http://php.net/manual/en/security.globals.php

This is the age of OOP. Do not use globals. not now. not ever. If your app requires globals, you've designed it wrong.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm just trying to understand CI better. Are you sure that the deprecation of the register_globals directive also means the deprecation of the $GLOBALS array? That isn't what the docs seem to be saying.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I don't think $GLOBALS will disappear soon, as that would mean the global keyword will no longer work too, which will break a lot of applications (including CI).

The rest of my statement still stands. Using globals is evil. period.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB