• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undefined Variable problem

[eluser]joeizang[/eluser]
hello everyone,

happy new year first of all. I have a question. I am developing an application using CI 2.10 with the following libraries: ion_auth, phil sturgeons template library. At the moment this is all the libraries I will be using for now. the problem I have is that I created a form and have validation errors sent to a partial as a variable from my controller like so:

Code:
//Controller method processing form
//proper validation happens here.
        if($this->form_validation->run() == FALSE)
        {
            //set dynamic data to be added to the view using the template library style

$data1 = array(
                     'valid_errors' => validation_errors()
                 );
            $this->template->set_partial('maincontent','partials/student_login')
                    ->build('layouts/default',$data1);

Code:
//this is a snippet from the partial on the view
<p>
                  &lt;form action="loginstudent" method="POST" id="studentlogin"&gt;
                  <p><label for="Username"><strong>Username :</strong>&lt;input name="user_name" id="uname" type="text"/&gt;&lt;/label></p>
                  <p><label for="Password"><strong>Password :</strong>&lt;input name="password" id="password" type="password"/&gt;&lt;/label></p>
                  <p>&lt;input name="submitbtn" id="logbtn" type="submit" value="Login"/&gt;&lt;/p>
                  &lt;/form&gt;
           </p>
              &lt;?php
                    echo '<p class="errors"><strong>'.$this->ion_auth->errors().'</strong></p>';
                    echo '<p class="errors"><strong>'.$valid_errors.'</strong></p>';

?&gt;

but all I get in the regions where I have data from the controller I get this:

Code:
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: partials/student_login.php
Line Number: 15

But when there is an error from trying to login, the errors appear accordingly so where am I missing it?

Thanks for y'all help;-)

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Try passing $data not $data1

That did not work insiteFX. the errors even worse since there ain't that variable in my method anyways but thanks for trying though.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
You get the error before submitting the form? For me it looks at least pretty obvious. If the if-case isn't validated to TRUE, then it won't get inside the if-part. So no variable $data1 will be generated therefore the row

Code:
->build('layouts/default',$data1);

accesses a variable that doesn't exist (undefined variable). That's prompted by CI since it's very sensitive towards missing variables. Try to initiate $data as an empty array before you have the if-part Wink

This is what PhilTem is saying to do.
Code:
$data1 = array();

//Controller method processing form
//proper validation happens here.
        if($this->form_validation->run() == FALSE)
        {

Hey InsiteFX,

thanks for helping me thus far. I did just what you said and still I get that error. I thought I should maybe do this to data1:

Code:
$this->data1 = array();
at the top of the class but I still get no love from this. Am I missing something? I am sure I am cos I have looked at pyrocms that uses the same template library and there this type of usage is the same there?!

Try placing a comma on the end.
Code:
$data1 = array(
    'valid_errors' => validation_errors(),
);

// or try this:
$this->load->vars($data1);
$this->template->set_partial('maincontent','partials/student_login')
               ->build('layouts/default');

You may need to assign the validation_errors() to a varianle first then pass that in your $data1 array.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Why pass it at all? In the view, just echo validation_errors(). If there are no errors, nothing will print.

Cronix,

thanks for that. why I was going the other way was for a while there using the template library and a lower version of CI (CI 2.0.3) I just couldn't see the validation_errors() echoing in my view but I could do that if I used the method that had been giving all the trouble. Now using 2.10 I just continued using the code I had written before so thanks for stating what should've been obvious. Big thanks to InsiteFX and PhilTerm for taking the time to talk to me about this. Much obliged.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew