Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Learning Codeigniter

[eluser]cmez[/eluser]
Hi there,

I'm new to PHP framework and PHP, and i was wondering what the prerequisite is to learn codeigniter? is basic php understanding enough?

Kind regards,

[eluser]Jason Stanley[/eluser]
I would make a blog or something and develop a good understanding of OOP before picking up a framework. This will help make sure you have enough knowledge to understand what CI is, what is doing and why you should be using it.

[eluser]cmez[/eluser]
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply, you mean learning PHP/MySql only and how to create blog with it? What is OOP?

Thanks

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
I would try to write my first blog in CI already, but certainly be sure to understand the principles of OOP (link 1, 2, 3) as well as the basics of MVC.

Clarification: OOP is Object oriented programming, MVC is model-view-controller design pattern, CI is Codeigniter

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Learn PHP first!

[eluser]Jason Stanley[/eluser]
[quote author="cmez" date="1328100767"]What is OOP?[/quote]

That is all you needed to say. You are not ready for codeigniter. I started with a book about PHP. Then built a blog with vanilla PHP + MySQL. It wasn't until I had a good foundation in PHP that I even looked at frameworks.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1328101783"]Learn PHP first![/quote]

[quote author="Jason Stanley" date="1328103742"][quote author="cmez" date="1328100767"]What is OOP?[/quote]

That is all you needed to say. You are not ready for codeigniter. I started with a book about PHP. Then built a blog with vanilla PHP + MySQL. It wasn't until I had a good foundation in PHP that I even looked at frameworks.[/quote]

Sadly both of my pre-posters are right: Learn PHP before you learn OOP before you learn MVC-architecture before you learn CI (or CakePHP or YII or some other framework).

Why do people very often think if they used CI they won't need any more knowledge/skills? It's like trying to get a PhD. You don't go to you university, tell them you have these nice software tools and think you can finish your thesis easily. You first have to go to kindergarten, elementary school, high school, and all educational parts that come, until you can reach your goal. Hope you don't get me wrong but get the metaphor right ;D

[eluser]cmez[/eluser]
Well guys,

It seems that's the conclussion, i need to get my self familiar with PHP and dive in to it before making a step further. I want to thank you all.

[eluser]julkifol[/eluser]
CodeIgniter is one of the lightest framework implementing MVC framework. If you have basic knowledge of Object Oriented Programming, MySQL and PHP, then you are ready to learn CI.

As, you have basic knowledge of PHP, so then you can look the following link.

hope, this will help you a lot.

[eluser]cmez[/eluser]
Hi there julkifol,

Thanks for your comment, do you have some advice or some tips for learning PHP basics? i have good knowledge of HTML/CSS.

Thanks in advance

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB