Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Webpage Running Indefinitely?

[eluser]jamgood96[/eluser]
Is it possible to have a website run indefinitely, with ajax calls and a timer, without crashing or causing issues? Are there such things as memory leaks for websites?

I'm working on a project that the site will be displayed on a large monitor in a corridor and it will update certain values every minute, and others every hour. Can I realistically expect to leave this up and running for months on end without issues?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I think that really depends more on the browser. Some web pages (usually javascript intensive) I can just leave running like you are proposing and watch the memory consumption of the browser go up over time.

[eluser]jamgood96[/eluser]
[quote author="CroNiX" date="1328222908"]I think that really depends more on the browser. Some web pages (usually javascript intensive) I can just leave running like you are proposing and watch the memory consumption of the browser go up over time.[/quote]

Would it be a good idea to force-reload the webpage every night, or does that not really address the issue?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Force reload the webpage? I think it would be better to reload the browser. Not sure what system you are using but you can set up a task to do that. Shutdown, restart and load the url.

But before getting into that, do a test with your browser doing what you propose and just watch the memory consumption. Leave it running for 24 hours and see if it uses more memory than when you started. If it has a memory leak, then take action.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB