Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Simple License Question

[eluser]aleul[/eluser]
I'm creating a product with CI as the framework, but I just have an [embarassing] simple question about the license. I'd rather play it safe though.

"4. Any files that have been modified must carry notices stating the nature
of the change and the names of those who changed them."

^Would this include even expected things like changing the default controller in the app\config\routes.php file? Obviously changing how underlying code operates would be included, and in this case I am technically changing CI files in this case..

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
[quote author="aleul" date="1328467602"]I'm creating a product with CI as the framework, but I just have an [embarassing] simple question about the license. I'd rather play it safe though.

"4. Any files that have been modified must carry notices stating the nature
of the change and the names of those who changed them."

^Would this include even expected things like changing the default controller in the app\config\routes.php file? Obviously changing how underlying code operates would be included, and in this case I am technically changing CI files in this case..
[/quote]

Just my opinion, IANAL etc...
Changing the name of the default controller is not a change to the code, but rather a change in the data. So I don't think that requires a notice in the file.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
I believe they mean directly modifying anything in the /system directory.
Anything in the /application directory is "your application" and "your work". They provide a sample "welcome" application in the default install. If you properly extend core classes and place them in /application/core, and extend core libraries and place them in the /application/libraries directory,then you still haven't touched the original files in the /system directory.
This is based on recent discussions on CI changing licenses to the OSL3 license, which CI3 will be under, so it might not directly apply to the current license.

I ain't no lawyer.

[eluser]aleul[/eluser]
Thanks TWP Marketing, and CroNiX that's about what I expected. I like the point of ythe difference between app\ and core\. I think I'll go along with that philosophy, while keeping my eyes out for any other info. If anyone else can chime in I'd appreciate it!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB