Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI license questions

[eluser]steel_slasher[/eluser]
I read through the license of CI but i couldnt really find anything that would answer this question "Can I sell a piece of code which uses CI but is also encrypted to protect fraud?" i dont want to encrypt CI just the my coding

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
from what I understand the licence to say you can do anything you want with the code you create
so I would assume as long as you do not encode the CI core files, i.e. the system folder, you are find to do anything else

but I guess you should wait for someone from ellislabs to clarify before taking my word for it

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Aaargh! I don't understand the need to encrypt the code. ExpressionEngine, IPB, MoveableType and Vbulletin don't encrypt their code so why would anyone else need to? I wouldn't use encrypted code out of principle. If I feel that I need to modify some part of the code for my specific usage then I should be able to do that, especially if I pay for it.

I think one of the differences between the companies I named off and smaller developers who encrypt their code is marketing. A good developer simply does not necessarily make a good marketer. If you make the effort to make your brand worth something as opposed to just the script then you won't have a need to encrypt your work. The script is just one small part of a successful business. You can copy a script but you cannot duplicate a successful business.

[eluser]steel_slasher[/eluser]
good speech. No really i mean it but couldnt encryption be used to protect yourself from others finding security holes in the coding by downloading another copy but yeah i understand what you are trying to say

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Not seeing the problems won't make them go away. Most scripts are already effectively closed source (sites coded in-house with no downloadable source available.) Does that stop people from figuring out security holes in web sites?

Besides, we are talking about web applications, not huge complex systems like MS Windows. You should be able to make your web app safe. If you don't know how to do that, encrypting the source is not going to help you.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
philosophical issues aside, yes you can sell code that is encrypted and built in CI, provided you you reproduce the CI copyright notice in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution, and you adhere to the rest of the CodeIgniter License Agreement.

[eluser]Peter Ivanov[/eluser]
Hello,

can i use CI to build open source CMS ???

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Yes. Provided you follow the license agreement.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1199469563"]Yes. Provided you follow the license agreement.[/quote]

I have some questions about the License Agreement myself, hopefully you can help. mainly it is to see if an implementation we plan will remain within the License Agreement.

We plan to use CI for a website and will be extending the code as deployed on the server. We are not selling or distributing the code, just the service of building a site with it. I assume one installation on one server we have a contract for in a managed hosting environment does not count as a distribution or redistribution.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

We will not be removing or modifying your supplied code, but extending it ion one of two ways, based on your reply:

1. extending it in a separate set of files alongside your code, with it's own readme documenting the changes (we thought we'd export some detailed and sensible notes from the svn logs as we go along)

2. extending it within your file/directory structure but adding notes in a changelog, again fed from detailed SVN notes.

Would that comply with the LA as you understand it?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB