Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI-based Wiki?

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
Anyone interested in starting a project to create a CI-based wiki?

I saw a project in the Google Code repository for Ciwiki, but it looks like a dead-start project.

Right now, I'm studying the methologies behind DokuWiki/MediaWiki in an attempt to learn the concepts behind a wiki. I'll probably start thumping code together in a week or so.

In any case, the question stands. Who's down? Smile

[eluser]opterons[/eluser]
I would be willing to give a hand, little new to ci but have had a couple years knowledge in php and ci is really easy. I would be willing to give a day or 2 out of the week to work on something like this maybe weekends Smile.

[eluser]Grahack[/eluser]
I'm a DokuWiki user and fan, but I didn't look deep inside of it. I think that it's a good choice! I'd like to follow the discussions a bit, but I won't have time to code (I integrated DW and FAL for my personal project so I don't need a wiki engine).
Will you use flat files or the db?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I'm wondering how you are going to work out the url structure. Most wikis have a terrible url layout IMO.
dokuwiki : http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:syntax (other language : http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:nl:syntax)
How i would want to see it :
- http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki/syntax : in an url it makes more sense to use slashes instead of colons
- http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki/syntax/nl : because the language isn't always available it should be added to the end and not somewhere in between, it's confusing.

wiki on CI website : http://codeigniter.com/wiki/MY_Validadion/ or http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Category:Lib...:Language/
How i would want to see it :
- http://codeigniter.com/wiki/my-validadion : always using lowcase characters lessens wrong typing urls, using a hypen makes it SEO friendly (camelcase links should have an hypen too if you are going to support it)
- http://codeigniter.com/wiki/libraries/language : if you display a url deeper in the link structure i think you can go two ways; using only the values or use key-value pairs but not a mix of the two.

I don't know if you are going to start from a already existing wiki engine or if you are going to create your own but it would be a nice feature.

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
I dislike usage of :'s or other odd characters in titles as well.

My plan is, in fact, to make smart usage of routing and, quite possibly, extend the routing library to find routes in a DB (Check existing routes script, grab additional routes from DB)

I plan to start from scratch with the wiki engine and keep it strictly wiki. Unlike tikiwiki which is a wanna-be coverall.

The Wiki should be:

Templatable
Extensible (via Plugins/modules)
Developed using the Guidelines for ExpressionEngine plugins, etc.

A database will definitely be required. I have no desire to work with file system operations.

If anyone is interested in jumping in on this little project, let me know.

I've got my own (virtual) dedicated server - just reading up on SVN and how it works.. haven't had any luck getting it to work yet. I'm also working on prototype code, but it's going slow at the moment - busy at work

[eluser]codex[/eluser]
@ Awpti: What about finishing onlytechnews.com first? It sounds promising.

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
@codex;

OnlyTechNews is at a standstill. I've run into some mental roadblocks that are putting a real damper on the development process.

Not sure where OTN is going (I have a general wide path with no end-vision)
Re-teaching myself SQL the RIGHT way.

I've tried soliciting help from the various development communities (including this one) but received very little to no response. The few that have responded (none from here) have minimal development skills at best or just don't display the level of interest I'd expect to see.

I've always been pretty big on the whole 'development team' aspect of things and have only ever flown solo on my own website (naturally). Without someone to bounce ideas off of - especially big ideas like OTN - things tend to stop dead.

I'm far from the best PHP developer in the world, but I'm decent. I understand the concept of Relational DB Design, but I don't always do it right/smartly. I understand proper coding practices (efficiency, logical naming conventions, solid code).. my one strong point.

I just don't know how to get people interested in something that very well may never make a penny (although, the goal is to make a lot more than just pennies).

--

In the end, yes - OnlyTechNews.com -is- promising.

I lack important things which I hope to (eventually) remedy:

A co-developer/designer who will code/design for a beer or three
A writer who will write for a beer or three
Large globs of money to throw at a project of this (potential) magnitude
The industry connections to make the transition into the product review market easier.

I intend to build OTN on the basis of an honest, open review process. No biased reviews. No money will exchange hands between reviews and said company (unless, of course, they decide to advertise) - but they must submit to an objective review. If they get a bad review, they can feel free to pull their ad.

Things of that nature. A true and open product review/journalistic endeavour.

[eluser]Grahack[/eluser]
@xwero
To me, URL structure depends on the user. Except the separators (that should be configurable), let him do what he wants. You're talking about a very precise example: translation of wiki pages on the main DokuWiki site. The namespace 'wiki' is translated in French in 'wiki:fr', German in 'wiki:de' and so on... It's the user's responsibility to organize the pages as he wants.
CamelCase should be an option too.
And I don't quite understand your last sentence:
Quote:I don’t know if you are going to start from a already existing wiki engine or if you are going to create your own
To me the goal of this post is to create a brand new wiki engine (even if I think that the market is quite full nowadays!).

@awpti
The separator should be configurable. About routing tweaks and content it the db (you have your reason to work with content in db, but I wanted to make shure), I found those screencasts very interesting.
Good luck! And keep us informed (svn, questions...).

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
@grahack : you are right about the dokuwiki example it's a developers implementation. I'm for a configurable url structure but i think the out of the box url structure should use common url conventions like lowcase characters, hypens between words and slashes as separators.

What i'm pointing out with that sentence is that maybe parts of existing wikis can be used to develop the CI wiki, a sort of a mashup. It will speed up the development and it will benefit from the knowledge teams of developers build up during the creation of their wiki software.
If you are going to build a wiki from scratch there are going to be pitfalls other wikis already have found a solution for.

I don't know what kind of licence awpti has in mind for its wiki, i'm just thinking out aloud here. Asking questions to make the wiki a player on the market.

[eluser]Grahack[/eluser]
URLs:
About urls, hyphens... see this page and this other one.
One of the difficult things is to give the possibility to any language to be written by the wiki engine, and this includes urls. At least one function will do the transformation from real text to url usable text.

DEV:
There are two options to me:
1) use (or integrate to your website) an already existing and solid wiki engine, perhaps with some little hacks or plugins,
2) build a new one from scratch, grabbing ideas only, not code.

With 1) you won't waste time falling into pitfalls, but learn nothing.
With 2) you learn a lot, and can be proud of your (long) work (if it's good).

To me there's no place for an intermediate option, but everyone is free...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB