Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
index.php .htaccess trick won't work

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
[quote author="chemiks" date="1328827462"]Does the Deny from All in the /application/.htaccess file prevent all of /application from being web accessible?[/quote]Yes, as does the one in /system

Edit:
It's possible that for you
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

needs to be
<IfModule mod_rewrite.so>

However, I never use those IfModule blocks because I know rewrite is enabled on my clients servers so the check is moot and unneeded.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
This is why we tell you to create an assets directory for your js images etc in the root.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
Do you ever wonder why it's so hard for "developers" to use mod_rewrite? This is part of web development kindergarten. I have to wonder if they even bothered trying to learn about it, because there's gotta be at least a few hundred tutorial websites that teach a person how to use it.

To OP and those who have problems with this subject:

1) Would you take calculus before having basic math skills?
2) Would you take an advanced organic chemistry class without first taking a basic science class?

I fear for your clients!

[eluser]Rolly1971[/eluser]
i am on CentOS as well i use this in my .htaccess and it works without a hitch:

Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|assets|themes|robots\.txt)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !\.(png|jpg|gif|css|js)$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1 [L]

[eluser]mast3rpyr0[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1328889656"]Do you ever wonder why it's so hard for "developers" to use mod_rewrite? This is part of web development kindergarten. I have to wonder if they even bothered trying to learn about it, because there's gotta be at least a few hundred tutorial websites that teach a person how to use it.

2) Would you take an advanced organic chemistry class without first taking a basic science class?

I fear for your clients![/quote]

I do agree partially, but I dont agree that mod_rewrite is something you would learn before HTML, or sometimes even PHP. I never needed it until I started using CI, which was years after I learned PHP. Hell I didnt learn how to do regular expressions until last night, so I couldn't even begin to understand how a well designed .htaccess would look without just copy and pasting what is said to work.

[eluser]timpiele[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1328889656"]Do you ever wonder why it's so hard for "developers" to use mod_rewrite? This is part of web development kindergarten. I have to wonder if they even bothered trying to learn about it, because there's gotta be at least a few hundred tutorial websites that teach a person how to use it.

That's a pretty ignorant comment. For one, I have been using mod_rewrite for ten years across several platforms. I just couldn't get it to work on CI. It turns out it was an obscure tweak that I had to make.

Two, I don't have clients, I work for a certain social network in Seattle and am working on a side project using CI.

[eluser]daniels[/eluser]
[quote author="chemiks" date="1328926187"][quote author="skunkbad" date="1328889656"]Do you ever wonder why it's so hard for "developers" to use mod_rewrite? This is part of web development kindergarten. I have to wonder if they even bothered trying to learn about it, because there's gotta be at least a few hundred tutorial websites that teach a person how to use it.

That's a pretty ignorant comment. For one, I have been using mod_rewrite for ten years across several platforms. I just couldn't get it to work on CI. It turns out it was an obscure tweak that I had to make.

Two, I don't have clients, I work for a certain social network in Seattle and am working on a side project using CI.[/quote]

My advice for you is, read all posts, read all comments, try and experiment each solution and see which one works the best for you, also do a little Google search to see what each line does so you understand what you use and just ignore the flamers. Some people just want to show how "great" and "experienced" they are compared to everyone else, instead of just helping.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
There is no one fit all .htaccess file you have to try the different one's and find the one that will work with your environment!

Quote:Some people just want to show how “great” and “experienced” they are compared to everyone else, instead of just helping.

1) Most of the questions on here have been answered over a 100 times.
2) They ask questions without reading the PHP manual or the CodeIgniter User Guide.
3) They do not click on that Search Button on top!

And I have not seen anyone on here trying to just show how “great” and “experienced” they are.

Because even I make mistakes now and then!

[eluser]timpiele[/eluser]
Again, I have been using mod_rewrite for a long time. If you read my original post, it says I have mod_rewrite working on several domains on my server, but with the CI project I am working on mod_rewrite wasn't working, so I assumed it was some CI specific thing you guys would know.

I don't need to Google how mod_rewrite works, I needed advice on very specific CI related mod_rewrite problem, so i came to the source. I searched this forum and read the first 5 pages of results, tried all of the solutions offered and none worked. I asked here, one of the answers worked, so I am not understanding why I went about it the wrong way?

I get a little tired of the lmgtfy attitude I guess when I am six hours into looking for a solution on my own and finally stop to ask for directions, only to be told to search or GTFO.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB