Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter suitable for my project?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi everyone,

I have been presented with a project to update an old and dated website; www.rccdams.co.uk

It was originally built using PHP 4 and a variety of static html templates.

My question is this:
Since it's not a complex site (the most complex it gets is the dam database search) is it worth reworking the site in CodeIgniter? Will there be any benefit?

I have to add that although I'm well versed in designing and building HTML sites and have used WordPress and Concrete5 in the past, I'd classify myself as a PHP novice and have never used CodeIgniter before.

There is additional functionality that the site owner has requested (apart from dragging it into this century!) and I thought I could do this using add-ons.

The site has no content management system to speak of, so I was thinking of using PyroCMS.

Anyway, any help, advice, information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Tony.

[eluser]Rok Biderman[/eluser]
Honestly, if you aim to use Codeigniter for a single project and don't know any php it will be painful, inefficient as well as unpredictable timewise (I suppose you're on a deadline). Not trying to scare you away, I encourage anyone to try it, because it's a fine tool, but it has requirements.

Codeigniter isn't really a suitable starting tool for php development, much the opposite, really, since you are expected to know php, as well as understand OO and MVC principles pretty thoroughly. You seem to have a skillset that works for you at the moment, I suggest you stick with it and try Codeigniter (or pure php for starters) on your own pet project with no time/client/feature constraints.

Maybe it will help in decision if I show you a couple of threads with similar questions:
Learning Codeigniter
How to get started

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB