Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[solved] Ideas for a UI design

[eluser]theshiftexchange[/eluser]
Hi guys,

This isnt actually a CI specific question - but I was hoping someone might be able to help.

What I'm after are some generic ideas (i.e. not specific code) on how I can better solve this problem. Once I get a good idea, I'll go off an work out the exact coding.

Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/r/y2qex/5

Problem: I have a table that has 53 columns; one for each week of the year, plus one with the user name. It will have anywhere between 10 and 80 rows, depending on the number of users for each area.

The users need to be set a "flag" for each week, such as Annual Leave, Training etc.

I currently have a table, which has a select box in each cell. The problem is this works for 5 rows, but once I start getting 20+ rows, the browser wont open the page, because there are just too many select boxes.

Whatever new selections are picked must be able to be queried, so I can save them in my DB.

Ideas so far:
- Make all cells text only, with the current selection, then have an 'edit' option beside each user, which opens their row as a modal window which can be editted
- Make all cells have a "onClick" event, causing a dropdown list to be generated at the point of click

But I'd be keen to hear how other people might approach/solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
Ended up with two ideas merging several ideas I have:
You could add a link to each cell which will open a modal-view on click. Within your modal page just put a general form (which is your default dropdown form hidden somewhere on the page) which, when submitted, adds/replaces hidden input fields in the cell.

Or, you add something fancy like multiple droppable items which are stored outside of your table and which write some hidden input fields once dropped over a table.

[eluser]theshiftexchange[/eluser]
[quote author="PhilTem" date="1333873724"]You could add a link to each cell which will open a modal-view on click. Within your modal page just put a general form (which is your default dropdown form hidden somewhere on the page) which, when submitted, adds/replaces hidden input fields in the cell.[/quote]

Thanks Phil - thats an awesome idea - so simple yet elegant! Really appreciate you taking the time to think of this!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB